Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

WIP Wednesday: One Lonely Arrow

After finishing up my quilt last week, I had to accept a sad fact...I don't have enough fabric to make a complete quilt anymore. However, my birthday fell on Sunday, so I got some money from my lovely Dad for my own shenanigans. So I'm hoping for a trip to Jo Ann's come Saturday! Until then, a smaller project would have to hold me over. :)


I took a gander at my overstuffed Pinterest boards (it's truly an abomination how much time I spend on there. Hahaha!), trying to decide what seemed fun to make. I love the look of scrappy feathers, but since I don't have a printer and wasn't feeling up to drafting up my own pattern pieces before my weekend kennel shift, I decided on an arrow instead! I stumbled across this tutorial and figured I would give it a whirl! It seemed simple enough, so I drug out my fabric and got started.

Tip #1 for myself if I, or you, do this in the future: Don't be stingy with your fabric! I tried to make a shorter pieced section to cut from and, of course, it turned up too short and I had to start over. Thankfully, I had enough fabric to retry without having to substitute anything, so no harm, no foul. :) Also, between both tries, I have a lovely little stack of scraps to work with!


This was my first time making flying geese (is it a flying goose if it's only one??). I didn't have time to look up proper techniques, so I just sort of winged it. I feel like I do that far too often, but it seemed to work out well this time! I'm hoping to add to this some and turn it into a pillow, which is something I've actually not done before. So what do you guys make when you need to/have to make a smaller project? I'd love to hear about it! Happy Hump Day y'all!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the "flying goose" - they get easier with lots of practice. I am currently making up place-mats. Trying to use up single blocks that did not make it into a finished quilt. The guild I belong to is has set a goal to collect a 1,000 place-mats for our local Meals on Wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, I never thought to use orphan blocks in place mats! And what a wonderful goal, that's A LOT of place mats!

      Delete