Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: Scrappy Pouch!


TGIF y'all! For the first time in forever (any Frozen fans out there?), I get the ENTIRE weekend off! I plan to use that lovely time off for sewing and reading since the weather is supposed to be less than superb in my neck of the woods. Despite that, I stayed up late Thursday night to finish this pouch for today! I used this tutorial to use the slab I showed you guys from Wednesday.
 I ended up adding some more to it to make it taller because I was a bit of a dum-dum and bought too big of a zipper. Derp!

I found another little bird in my scrap bin!
I was also a bit lazy and didn't pin or baste my zipper in place before sewing because my pins were downstairs and I was tired of tromping up and down the stairs getting this-n-that. And, surprisingly, I don't think it looks too bad. I could have gotten a bit closer to the zipper teeth, but I was worried about hitting the teeth and destroying my only zipper. I also trimmed a little off the ends of my zipper thinking it would reduce bulk, but it actually made it sit kind of funny afterwards. Lesson for the books when I make another one!
Aren't those polka dots darling?!
I knew exactly what I wanted to use for the lining of this colorful bag! I wanted it to look like a rainbow puked on it, inside and out, so these cute dots were the perfect choice for me. It was a fat quarter I picked up at...well...Walmart. Do quilt bloggers buy fabric from Walmart? Most of the bloggers I follow seem to be online shoppers or buy from their LQS. My budget isn't quite up to that standard yet. When I saw this little fat quarter, I couldn't pass it up, it was just too darn happy!


One last shot with a little pitcher I made in a college ceramics class. It helped the pouch catch the kitchen light juuuuuuust right I feel like. It made that blue zipper pop too! So what about you, any fun plans for this weekend?

Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday , TGIFF, and Finish it Up Friday

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet little pouch!!! It's very satisfying to get quilty goodness with a quick little project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pouch is so cute! Congrats on a fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little pouch! I hope all your wild sewing plans for the week-end come to pass! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting TGIFF, Jenn! And the sewing plans are about to begin, I just have to decide on a movie to put on while I cut some fabric for my next quilt. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your blog and your cute pouch. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable little bag and your pitcher is nice too. I always wanted to play with ceramics. someday......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an absolute blast learning and playing with ceramics! My only regret was that I took it my last semester of school and wasn't able to pursue it further. Mine and my parents' house is dotted with ugly mugs and bowls from my final project. ;) I did work hard on two pitchers though so that Mom and I could have a twins, such a fun decoration.

      Delete
  6. Very cute and love that a rainbow "puked" in your bag! Yes, I used to buy some of my fabric from Walmart until the ones near me stopped selling fabric. The starter "palette" for my first bed quilt was made of fabrics I got off the $2 sale table! It's seven years old and still in use! Thanks for sharing this at Val's and keep on quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of their fat quarters are just too darn cute, I can't resist it! Lol. I actually have a bunch of baby safari themed fabric stowed away from there when I first started sewing. I still swear I'm making my child a quilt out of it whenever I decide to take that leap (into having children, not making baby quilts!). :)

      Delete