Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: Giant Lone Star Quilt


Happy Friday y'all! Hope your week has been awesome. If it hasn't, at least it is coming to a close, right? For my first Finish It Up Friday, I have a Giant Lone Star quilt! I saw this design on Pinterest and, for reasons I can't remember, knew I had to start one immediately. Also for reasons unknown, I wanted this very specific color scheme, which is nothing like what I normally pick. I like it, so I guess even a weird gut instinct can be right? Hahaha.


 Anyway, I didn't find a very clear tutorial with the inspiration picture. I had measurements for the diamond pieces, but other than that, I was kind of on my own. Which was actually really fun! So I dove headfirst into things and pieced the top together. I probably did things in a roundabout way, but I had nothing but straight seams, so it wasn't too hard! I couldn't get all my points to match up, which is a bummer. But that's something I'm working on with each project, so it's a work in progress.

 I used the leftover fabric to piece a backing together as well, which is my usual technique. I had originally planned to make this quilt bigger, but midway through sewing, I decided to keep it small and square. After squaring it up, it ended up around 50 inches square. One thing you'll find if you stick around this blog is that I love LOVE scrappy bindings. They're like icing on a quilty cake of goodness. It's just so happy and bright! I'm going to link up with Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts!


10 comments:

  1. I love this color combination and this quilt is a winner in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredibly striking to look at, it's definitely a design that works really well blown up huge and the colour scheme really makes it all pop, none of the colours are fighting for attention - what a gorgeous completed quilt it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carie! I was worried the colors wouldn't work, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it worked out. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the grey solid; really makes the colors in the star pop. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I felt like the traditional white background would have washed it out; I'm glad the gray had the effect I was shooting for. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this! Good for you jumping in and figuring it out for yourself! The scrappy bindings are indeed fun!
    Don't worry too much about the matching points... or matching socks. Matching is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one who isn't too concerned with matching socks! :)

      Delete