Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Not a Finish Friday, But There's Eye Candy!


Howdy y'all! No finish here today, but I have some progress and some eye candy! First off, I finished some of the improv squares for my Supernova quilt. After working on this for a couple of days, I'm more confident with my fabric. It's looking better now that it's coming together I feel like! I think I might be a quarter to a third of the way done now, but I'm not sure. The instructions are upstairs and I'm too tired to trek up there to double check. *hides under lazy quilt*


I'm having fun with this stitch and flip technique! It's so fun to just put fabric together and sew, not worrying about precision or rules. I just make sure I have the right colors in the right corners and let 'er rip! Once I got into a groove, I had a little assembly line going for my squares. :)


And onto the eye candy! A squishy bag of happiness arrived in the mail today and I literally squealed for joy when my husband threw it at me. I don't buy much fabric online, usually because of prices and because I'm still not too confident in matching colors on a screen. But Connecting Threads has a nice sale section and I might have fallen in love with the mermaid fabric. I immediately knew it needed to be made into a quilt for a little girl ASAP. Granted, I don't have a little girl to make a quilt for, but I knew it would find a home if I made it. :) So into my cart went the mermaids, narwhals, and seahorses, joined by that yellow print that reminds me of sand dollars.

How could I say no to the cutest little duo ever?



Then I found the Cotton and Steel. I've never actually bought Cotton and Steel fabric before, but I've been crushing on it so hard, I couldn't resist. The third fabric over (the navy with multi-colored fronds) isn't C+S, but I tossed it in there anyway. I like the print and it was dirt cheap on a really good sale. I'm behind the party with the arrow fabric, but better late than never, right? Hahaha. I also tossed some of the little critters in there too, aren't they darling?

I just want to squeeze their little cheeks!
I've never been one to save selvages, but Jenn over at A Quarter Inch From the Edge is a selvage saver and has made some cool stuff with them! So I snapped a quick pic of the ones that were actually cool. I love the C+S one about leaping. :)




Have an awesome weekend y'all, thanks for stopping by!

Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday









6 comments:

  1. Oooh... selvages! Not that they're the only exciting thing in this post by a long shot! But they do catch my eye! I'm pretty much in love with the mermaid/narwhal/fishy business. How do people keep finding more and more awesome fabric that I've never seen? So much temptation.

    You're making excellent progress on your SuperNova blocks... I know exactly what you mean about the freeing feeling of improv piecing. Just reading you write about it makes me want to grab some scraps and get to piecing! Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had fabric with pretty selvages before, so it surprised me as I was unfolding it all and saw them! These are definitely getting saved for later. :) Have a great weekend too!!

      Delete
  2. Improv makes my heart happy!
    So do mermaids!!
    What a fun Friday.... oh, and for the record, I too have been crushing on that Viewmaster print but haven't jumped on board the Cotton and Steel train yet. Jenn has me hooked on Konas and I'm riding that train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm dipping my toes into the Kona and Cotton and Steel pools right now. It's dangerously tempting and I love it. Lol. Now I just have to hide my credit card so I don't get too tempted by all the beautiful fabric!

      Delete
  3. That kind of eye candy really should not be allowed! Those mermaids are soooooo cute, they are really testing my resolve that I have far too much fabric already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!! Lol. I can resist a lot of fabrics, but those little mermaids would not let me go!

      Delete