Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

For Paris, With Love: A Finished Baby Quilt!

Not so nice weather leads to an indoor photo shoot sadly!
Hey y'all, I have a finish for Finish it Up Friday Saturday and I'm excited to share it! This is the first of the baby quilt commissions I was given not long ago. You guys saw a sneak peek of the fabrics and everybody LOVED the Paris themed print. I can't take credit for it; my client brought it to me as a starting point! If I remember correctly, she and one of the relatives of the recipient went out looking for ideas and fell in love with this fabric. It's only fitting since the baby's name is...you guessed it, Paris!
Ready to be gifted to the mommy-to-be!

I had every intention of doing progress posts and blogging about this like usual. But that just didn't happen. I have been running around like crazy since this started it feels like and sadly, all you get is the finish post. The top went together super easy; I think I got almost the entire things cut and sewn while watching Fifty First Dates on Netflix!
Doggy photobomb!
Special instructions for this quilt was to have her name on the quilt. They were thinking the front, but I felt like that was going to be too busy. So we chatted back and forth and I suggested putting her name on the back the way I did on the front of the Ella and Garrett quilts. They trusted me, so I got to work! I loved using the font from that Paris fabric to make the name! I have terrible penmanship, but with quilting and a little inspiration, I can clean it up some! Lol.
So much texture with the loop-dee-do's!

I really had to mess with the contrast on this picture to make it barely visible, but I managed to fmq her name into the bottom corner!
Quilting this was both fun and a nightmare. I love FMQ loop-dee-do's and getting to add little hearts was a special treat. But my thread just kept snapping. Over. And over. And OVER. Thing is, this was the first time I tried FMQ with Aurifil thread. I was expecting it to be awesome because I've heard such good reviews about it. It did fine for piecing and I love the light grey color, so it wasn't a total bust, but I'm a bit disappointed in it.
 A scrappy binding! And some of the sharpest corners I've ever made on a binding. :)
I used leftovers from the front to make the binding. As I've said before, I'm not a pink fan, but the pink in the binding is probably my favorite pink print. And those grey dots just have a hint of sparkle!

And the label. I'm so glad I went a little more special on this label. I've cut out some of the names and whatnot for privacy sake, but I had my name and blog name, as well as the name of the family that commissioned it. But I loved getting to use the fabric with her name and the flower to make it more special!
I think he thought this was for him! Silly Elvis! Lol.
I've got one more commission to do, then it's back to my usual projects! Linking up with Finish it Up Friday!

11 comments:

  1. A lovely finish. This quilt is definitely personalized... about a hundred times over. When you were having trouble with the thread snapping, did you try a different sized needle? I feel your pain... I have been there more than once with FMQ. Usually on a quilt that had a tight deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I didn't try a different needle, though I may have to. It never fails that things get hinky when there's a deadline!

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet quilt! I can't decide which side I like more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had so much fun making this one double sided!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely little quilt. I really like the choice of the zig zag fabric in this quilt. It ads a nice pop to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I let my mother-in-law help pick out the fabric and she loved that fabric! I think it really adds a pop to the quilt as well. :)

      Delete
  4. I love it!! This is a great finish. I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! According to my mother-in-law, everybody at the baby shower was raving about it! And the mother absolutely loved it, so that's a win in my book! :)

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet quilt and I love all the special details! I would definitely try a new needle for the FMQ, I use the aurifil with loops myself and haven't had the same breakage you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I've been fiddling with things (new needle, different thread, etc.) and it seems my sewing machine has become possessed. Lol. I broke 3 needles yesterday. Yes, three! I'm worried now it may be my machine, but I'm hoping it was just a spell of trouble sewing and will be fine when I sit down with a fresh start.

      Delete
  6. The quilt was in honest truth the favorite at the shower! I have never heard so many oohs and ahhhhs over a qift! I was so tickled Jen let me help in choosing material. What she may not have told you is, I knew Jen crocheted, one day she said she would like to try sewing but needed a machine. We had Her husband's great grandma's machine, it had made so many quilts in its day but sadly since she passed in 1999 it had not sewn one stitch. We offered Jen the machine and she would tote it back in forth to college safely in a seatbelt front seat,lol. Then she took up quilting, I'm telling you Mamaw Mac is prob beaming from Heaven! Another McLaughlin was making babies and lived ones warm quilts on her machine! Jen is beyond talented, anything the girl sets her mind to becomes a reality! And to heat it all she does it while taking care of my son, who got hurt at work, and just had a second knee surgery today and my granddog and grandkitty! Trust me they are a handful,lol! Needless to say I am very proud of Jen!

    ReplyDelete