Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Throwback and Looking Forward

Howdy y'all, I've got a double post for you today! First up, I have an oldie but goodie to share for Throwback Thursday over at A Quarter Inch From the Edge. This is a continuation of 'quilts I made the kiddos for Christmas'. This one is the third I will have shared, called the Garrett quilt for my little cousin that received it. He is quite the pirate, so I knew right away that it had to involve pirates and all things ocean.

This one is quite busy also (this was before I learned about using neutrals and blenders to keep things calmed down), but it's just so fun! And I remember I loved doing this FMQ. I was shooting for ocean waves and I feel like this simple and quick design was spot on.

And I love this backing fabric! I randomly find bits of it in my scrap bins and it always makes me smile. :)


I've been a scrappy binder since the beginning! Those bits of red really pop!





After looking back, it only seems fitting to look forward now! I'm sure many of you are getting sick of reading everybody's goals and resolutions for the coming year, but I'm here to add another! (I'm actually one of those people who loves reading those posts, anybody else like that?) One thing I wanted to do this year was be more active with goal setting, so here's what I have planned for the next 3 months thanks to the Finish-A-Long link up, which you can see here!


My biggest goal is to get City Blocks completely finished - quilted, bound, and labeled! I've already started quilting it, so this one is on its way to being completed.


Next up is my Orange Peels! I just ordered some fabric for a backing thanks to a gift certificate I won on a linky party. I also snagged some Aurifil thread to try out, which excites me to no end! My plans for the Orange Peels is the same as City Blocks - completely finish her up!

My final goal was a bit harder because I wasn't totally sure where I wanted to go after these 2 WIP's, but I think I know what I want to do. I've got my Scrap Vortex blocks back up on the design wall and I want to do something fun with them. I don't want to make an entire quilt out of just scrappy blocks (not yet at least!), but I do want to make a quilt top out of the ones I have. So my goal is to get them pieced into a top, then finished up like all the rest!
I've made more since this picture was taken, but forgot to take a picture!
Three quilts in three months is quite ambitious for me, but I'm shooting for the moon since there isn't a penalty for not completing all my goals in the time limit. After all, if there is something left to do, there's always next quarter to wrap things up! :)

15 comments:

  1. Yes, your goal is ambitious but you can do it! My problem is that I overthink things and get frozen with my progress so that is my goal for this year. Just do it! Garrett's quilt is perfect and I can't wait to see your City Blocks complete. Your FMQ is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I'm hoping to get a lot of progress made, especially since colder weather has really set in here! I tend to overthink certain parts of a project (typically quilting) before I finally just jump in and hope for the best. Lol. :)

      Delete
  2. The prints in Garrett's quilt are so fun... we have a love of ocean critters in this house! And busy is just great for kiddos quilts. The more, the merrier!

    In the vein of goal setting, have you heard of the new OMG link-up? It's looks to be a good replacement for A Lovely Year of Finishes - just one goal a month. The link-up is open until Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jenn! I love animal novelty prints! Though they can be some of the hardest prints to use in quilts, I'm just a sucker for them. Lol. I'll have to check out the OMG link-up! And thank you, as always, for hosting TBT! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely projects. Wishing you best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pirate quilt. I think you will be able to accomplish your goals. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I'm staying positive and trying to get some stitching done every day or two to stay on top of things. Hard work at times, but it's the kind of work I like so I don't mind. :)

      Delete
  5. I think it's a doable list - good luck!! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I'm hopeful to stay on top of things! Putting my goals out for all to see will definitely keep me more focused, that's for sure! Thanks for helping host FAL! :)

      Delete
  6. Garrett's quilt is sew cute. I love all the busy-ness and the fun fabrics. You have been very busy this past week and on a quilty roll for sure. I need to pull out my scrap vortex, but have too many projects going at the moment, but I'll get to it one day when I dig down in the tub it is residing in. The quilting on your City Blocks quilt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I'm definitely trying to get my WIP's as close to zero as I can before embarking on anything new. It's tough, but it's refreshing to see stacks of in-progress stuff get turned into finished products and free up shelf space for new projects! :)

      Delete
  7. I love the pirate quilt with your early quilting and the quilting in city blocks is awesome! I'm liking the scrap vortex blocks against the white fabric.So I would suggest a lot of white negative space with that quilt. Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa J! Making a quilt with a lot of white scares me to death (I'm so prone to spills and disaster), but the only thing that feels right for those scrappy blocks is white! I'm just going to have to suck it up and do it! Lol.

      Delete