Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

WIP Wednesday: Back to the Basics

Happy Hump Day, y'all! Thank you so much for the well wishes, it really brightened my day to know I've got good vibes coming from my quilty friends. :) After the sewing fiasco that was last week (it involved 3 broken needles, more breaking thread, and a crying temper tantrum on my part), it suddenly hit me: I was not having fun. I was downright miserable, which has never happened while sewing. I sewed the last line of quilting, folded up the WIP, and turned my machine off. And even though there was plenty of time left in the day, I didn't even look at my machine! I took a day off and thankfully came to my senses! So much has been going on lately that I was viewing something I love as a job, which sucked the joy out of it. Rather than being fun, I was more focused on all the nagging things in my brain rather than the project in front of me. So I took a deep breath and decided I needed some simple sewing to bring my heart some joy.
I won this bundle from Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation!
I won this fabric last year and although it's darling, I didn't see me using it to make a quilt for myself. I decided it was time to make my first charity quilt! So I looked at my quilty bucket/to-do list for ideas and decided it was time to tackle HST's (half square triangles). I used a popular method to make two at a time (there are actually quite a few ways to make them!) and just cut my squares to fit my fabric and minimize waste. I chain pieced to my heart's content and, ya'll, it. was. Fabulous! As crazy as it sounds, I even enjoyed sitting down and trimming all those little wings off the corners of the triangles. :)

I threw them up on my design wall and played with them a little bit before settling on this layout. It's just enough chaos with a tad bit of order. I couldn't help but smile as I organized them; there's just something so soothing about playing with fabric.
Somebody is keeping this WIP warm! Lol.
Something as simple as this lifted my spirits and I'm ready to tackle the binding of the commission quilt I was working on! So close to the finish! :)






7 comments:

  1. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away. Your HST's are great. This is going to be an awesome quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Anja! Sometimes a project just doesn't want to be done and there's nothing you can do about it. Thankfully there's always another project in line to save the day! :) Love your HST quilt top you shared also, seems triangles are in season!

      Delete
  2. That HST quilt is perfect! Glad to see that you found your happy...it's important like you said not to lose sight of it. Ever. So hard to find it when you've lost it....lol....
    Great work LBC...that WIP was about to float awsy. Pets are such useful critters, good to have them around.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! It really is easy to lose sight of the happy when things get crazy, but the happy is so valuable! I'm so glad these HST's were able to bring me back to the light side. Lol. And LBC is good for keeping WIP's weighed down. I think he thinks it's his job! LOL.

      Delete
  3. Happy to see that you were able to walk away from the frustration project for awhile. It happens to all of us at some point. LOVE your HST charity quilt. Whoever receives it will be very, very grateful to have it. Hugs to LBC and Elvis. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I'm so stubborn sometimes, it doesn't surprise me that it took me that long to walk away from it, even though it was driving me batty! And I can see a little girl loving all the colors with this one. :)

      Delete
  4. You did exactly the right thing. You are not doing piecework in a sweatshop. This is your hobby, your joy. If there's no joy, what's the point? So glad you found it again and that in finding it, you've made a great start on a charity quilt that will pass on the joy!

    ReplyDelete