Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

4x7 Sewing Challenge - Week 3 Update

Howdy y'all, hope your weekend treated you well! We've finished the third week of the 4x7 Challenge hosted by Berry Barn Designs! I didn't sew selfishly every day this week, but I've gotten so much done that I don't actually mind. :) As you saw, I finished 'Peels of Patience' last week, which I'm absolutely thrilled with! It's had some cuddle times and I just catch myself looking at it on the quilt ladder when I'm not using it, it's just so colorful.

Within the last week or so, I was commissioned with not one, but two baby quilts! My MIL asked me to make one for a friend of her's and my Mom asked me to make one for a family member. Both are for girls and both are full of pink. Though I hate pink, I do have to say I like what I'm working with. Here's a sneak peek, I'm hoping to get some blog posts together later this week!
Gloomy days make for crummy picture. :P

This quilt is so happy and bright in real life!
What has been most amusing this week, however, has been when I haven't been sewing. I started walking my Mom through the quilting process this week. It's been hilarious and fun and I've loved it! She's so unsure and panicky at times (I had to make the one cut in her fabric she needed because she was too afraid), but she's having fun! It cracked me up when she was watching me draw out some quilty math in my notebook and she said it was the spitting image of how my Dad approaches his home improvement work. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree it seems! :)

So all in all, I may not have sewn selfishly everyday, but it's been another pretty stellar week. If I can get my hands on some Kona this week, you may be seeing those hexies from week 1 make an encore appearance!

14 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see those baby quilts. I like the fabrics. Next thing, you'll be getting your mom to create a blog. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I'm not normally a pink person, but I've enjoyed working with these. Mom is worse than I am with computers, so it will certainly be a momentous occasion if I can get her in the blogosphere! LOL

      Delete
  2. I love those fabrics for the baby quilts! I'm a French teacher, so they are right up my alley!

    The first quilt is excellent! The colors and details are really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnna! I've always wanted to learn French! The recipient of this one gave me the Eiffel Tower print and told me they wanted it to be the focus, but other than that I was free to do as I pleased. I've loved working with it!:) And I love the orange peels, I see another one being made in my future!

      Delete
  3. Fun little Tour Eiffels! And I hear you on not liking pink. I tend not to make pink quilts for the wee girlies, but these are commissions, so what the client wants, they get! :) Here's to another week of "selfish" sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipient of the quilt picked out the fabric and told me to do as I pleased! Such a fun focus fabric to work with, so much glitter and fun! I haven't managed any selfish sewing, but I did get some fabric for 2 more selfish sewing projects, so that has to count for something! Lol

      Delete
  4. The fabrics for the baby quilts are perfect for little girls. Love, love, love the French theme with the pink. How fun to be teaching your Mom to quilt. Sounds like you are having lots of fun and had a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! These quilts are so girly, not my normal choices, but it's been fun to get out of my comfort zone with all the pinks. It's been fun guiding Mom along. We were joking that if only I could have taught her when I was younger, I could have grown up quilting with her! Lol. Too bad I wasn't born a quilter! Hahaha

      Delete
  5. I think both baby quilts are super cute, but then I love pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna! I just can't get myself to love pink, but there are times even I have to admit it's cute. :)

      Delete
  6. Great fabrics for the baby quilt! You can go wrong with such fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I'm a huge sucker for novelty prints, so I loved that the client picked out such an awesome print to work with! :)

      Delete
  7. That's fun to have two commissions in the works, Jennifer - I'd be jealous because I love sewing pinks and dread when I have to do projects in palettes I'm less fond of ; ) And that's so funny about your mom being afraid to make the cut. As long as she remembers to measure frequently, hopefully she'll have lots of success when she gets comfortable with the rotary cutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It seems baby season has begun, there is talks of possibly another little girl quilt soon! I'm definitely more of a blue and green kind of girl, but it's good to get outside the comfort zone every once and a while. :) I couldn't help but laugh at Mom's fear of cutting the fabric, she was so scared of ruining it with a bad cut! In my mind, a bad cut is just an excuse for some improv sewing! Lol.

      Delete