Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Isabella Quilt: A Finish!

Mr. LBC's first appearance as quilt holder!
I'm so happy to be sharing this one with y'all! This quilt has had a lot of ups and downs, but here she is and I'm so proud of her!
Pretty in Pink!

The piecing went together easy-peasy with such a simple layout. My Mom actually helped pick out all these pink and grays. It was so fun having her input, she has a good eye for fabric. :)
My handwriting in real life is terrible but I managed to pull things together a bit for this! :)
 And I had fun coming up with a font that fit this top! Yay for Heat N' Bond and raw edge applique!
A rainbow striped back. I even managed to match up stripes so it looks seamless! :)
The texture on this one was so lovely, I love this FMQ motif. :)
As you may recall, quilting this thing was a nightmare. The first two-thirds or so did great; I was loving the flower motif and was zooming through things. But then the problems started. Thread kept snapping, needles kept breaking. I ended up in tears, praying my last needle didn't snap before finally finishing the last flower. I had a quilty miracle though when a new machine got passed onto me, free of charge! I plan on introducing it soon, but I will say it has served me well for putting the binding on and piecing some other blocks!
This shows off the backing, binding, and quilting quite well (though it doesn't show the glitter on the fabrics), as well as the lovely green grass that is growing like crazy now!
There were no special requests for a label, so I made a simple label with my name and LBC Quilting on it. I even managed to get it hand stitched on before the sun went down!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts and TGIFF @ Anja Quilts

14 comments:

  1. Glad you managed to get past the nightmare stage and complete the quilt. It is really a very sweet quilt, and I am sure the recipient will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I'm glad to have that behind me, but I love the finished quilt! This one was commissioned for family, so I'm excited to see how they react when they receive it1 :)

      Delete
  2. Even though it went from easy peasy to nightmare, it is gorgeous. I mean really gorgeous. Congrats on the new machine. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Little Brother (what I've decided to name the machine since it's Brother and smaller than my other one! LOL) is fitting in pretty well so far! He's not a workhorse like my Kenmore, but so far for basic piecing and putting a binding on, he's done good. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you managed to finish after all the troubles you had. The flower FMQ is amazing! Great finish. Thanks for linking up for TGIFF @ Anja Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I love that flower motif, all that white space was begging for something fun! :) I'm determined to use it again some time, it's just so soft and happy.

      Delete
  4. The flower motif looks great on this quilt. You would never know looking at it all the troubles you had. I'm very impressed with the letters in the name. They look very professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I knew with all that white space that I needed something with a bit of 'oomph!' in it and I think these flowers were just right.:) They were surprisingly easy to do when my thread wasn't snapping! And thank you, that font was fun also! I ended up sketching it myself. :) I used a ruler as a guideline, but other than that, it was a lot of good luck and a dependable eraser! Lol.

      Delete
  5. This is just fabulous! I adore your fmq. I have not tried a motif like that yet. I know what you mean about racing to get a quilt finished because the quilting isn't going right. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I had the hardest time deciding what to do with all the negative space, but when I saw this flower, I knew I needed to do it. :) It is so frustrating when the quilting isn't cooperating, it makes such an enjoyable part of quilting downright awful!

      Delete
  6. I love how your FMQ makes all that negative space into something awesome! And a child's name makes a quilt oh so special. I'm sure it will be treasured for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! That negative space was begging to be filled with some quilty love. :) And I love the personalization that comes with a name on a quilt, kids usually go wild over it!

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful masterpiece Jen!!

    ReplyDelete