Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Throwback Thursday: The Final Kid Quilt of 2014

 




Howdy y'all, it's that time again! Jenn over at A Quarter Inch From the Edge is hosting Throwback Thursday again! I can't believe I still have quilts to share, but quilts for the kids in my family are keeping me going. :)

This one is the last of the 'quilts for the kids' saga that was Christmas 2014. This one was for the oldest boy of the kiddos, though he is still little in my eyes. He's in grade school and is allllllll about sports. It was surprising how hard it was to find coordinating sports fabrics. This was also the time I experienced sticker shock when buying a college sports fabric (THOSE LOGOS TRIPLE THE PRICE, I SWEAR!)

I'm not entirely sure what I was going for with this quilt. The layout is...I'm not entirely sure. I think I was running out of ideas for simple layouts involving squares and just sort of winged it! Lol. Super simple quilting and a plain backing kept with the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid!). A scrappy binding rounded things out for a quick finish.

I remember I actually delivered this one after Christmas. I got sick right before Christmas that year and wasn't able to finish this last one in time. By some quirk of fate, however, this kiddo didn't show up for our family Christmas party and didn't miss out on getting his gift that day! My aunt texted me when he opened it after I delivered it and said he loved it! I think she sent me a picture of him curled up in it on the couch around that time too.  I have to say, my favorite part of making quilts is the love they receive after they are gifted.  :)

What about you guys? Do you have a ghost from quilty past you want to share? Head on over to Jenn's and link up if you do, there's a giveaway too!


9 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I have to agree, the best part of making quilts is knowing they are being used and loved. When I give a quilt, I tell the recipient I never want to see the quilt in pristine condition! Lucky kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threatened to take back a wedding quilt that I made when the bride (a very good friend) said it was too nice to use!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! With the last baby quilt I gifted, I gave the disclaimer that it was for play, not to be put up and guarded. I'm going to be around for repairs, so play rough! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah... he sporty quilt. All us aunties have made at least one (Anja's made a dozen though she just has one nephew!) Knowing that they are loved makes it all worth it... even the prices on the jacked up licensed fabric. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! It's funny how we all end up making certain types of quilts at one time or another. And we all pay boatloads for that silly fabric! As always, thanks for hosting TBT! :)

      Delete
  3. I agree also that the best part of giving a quilt is knowing it is used and loved. I'm pretty sure the first quilt I made has disintegrated because there is no evidence of it in my nephews life...but I know he really loved recieving it. ( I think the cats finished it off). His daughters quilt is well loved and has a little stain on it and that makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes my heart smile to think of quilts falling apart from being loved so much. And how wonderful that his daughter has a quilt and loves it just like him too! :)

      Delete
  4. It is gratifying when they are used!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Elle! I often tell the recipients that the quilt was made to be used, not stashed away and hidden. What fun is a quilt that is never used? None, that's what!

      Delete