Pages

Friday, February 5, 2016

Finish It Up Friday: Birthday Edition!

Pika-CHU!
What, two blog posts in a row?! That's right!! I finished up a little present for Mr. LBC this week since his birthday is Saturday. He's a huge gamer nerd and, like many of our generation, he still loves the Pokemon franchise. I think I hear the Pokemon theme song at least once per day in our house, my husband belting it out off key to the amusement of Elvis and LBC. While I was perusing Etsy for possible gifts, I stumbled across this awesome store that had this cool piece of geometric artwork of Pikachu, probably the most popular character in the entire series. As soon as I saw it, I saw a sewing project!
Fun doodles! It was like a puzzle in reverse. :)
So I got to brainstorming! I drew a rough sketch on a piece of paper and traced it onto some Heat n' Bond. I was a big dumb-dumb and forgot to mirror the image, but no harm in the end.
Stitching away!

After bonding it to the material, I laid out the pieces the way I wanted onto a big scrap of gray fabric and ironed them on. Then it was time to stitch all those shapes down!
This was the point I squealed in excitement because it actually looked like what I wanted!
Simple line of quilting to outline Pikachu.
I did a super simple line of quilting around the shape to let the design shine. Then I made a simple backing with some leftover flannel scraps I had.

Hullo little leopard pillow, do you like your new cover?
As you can see, I still haven't figured out the backing. Lol. I told my husband I can't keep the pillow from pooping out the back, which he got a kick out of. I MUST look up a tutorial so I get it right next time! Fun bit of info: That leopard pillow is actually from my childhood bedroom! I'm so glad to be able to make it useful again. :)
Mr. LBC loves that I called him a Pokemon Master. Lol. The things we do for love! Hahahaha
I also added a simple label, which Mr. LBC liked.

Linking up with NTT and Finish It Up Friday!


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Laney! The little pieces were fiddly, but I had a blast putting this one together! :)

      Delete
  2. When inspiration strikes! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemini Jen! It's funny how inspiration can smack you in the face when you least expect it! :)

      Delete
  3. That's Fantastic!Happy Birthday Mr. LBC!
    I always forget to draw in reverse on the fusible web. I hate that.
    I think there's a link to a good pillow back tute on Sew Fresh Quilts... but it may require a zipper, not sure. I seem to recall a few guildmates trying the method she recommended with satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! It seems to be 50/50 for me with remembering to draw the mirror image. You'd think I'd learn. Lol. I've seen a few people share them, I'm going to have to dig in and research around. I've seen some people putting zippers in their pillows and hadn't thought about it much. I see myself with a big zipper mark on my face if I do that though! LOL.

      Delete
  4. Great pillow! I showed it to my son and thought it was awesome! (He is a big Pokemon fan)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! That's awesome that your son is a Pokemon fan! I never imagined it would still be around back when I played it as a kid, but it has stuck around. :)

      Delete
  5. What a fun pillow. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how I missed this, but it is soooooo cool. I love it. Happy Belated Birthday to the Pokeman Master, aka Mr. LBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! He's cracking up about my 'imaginary friends' wishing him happy birthday, but he appreciates it! :)

      Delete