Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Peels of Patience: A Finish!


That's right folks, I finished my Orange Peels! Y'all have been seeing these blocks since I started blogging and they are finally completed! :) All the orange peels are appliqued onto the background squares by hand using the freezer paper method. I used this tutorial that Amanda Jean shared over on Crazy Mom Quilts when she made her orange peel quilt. After that, I machine pieced the blocks together into a top.
THE TEXTURE!
I almost did the quilting with with my free motion foot, but decided at the last minute to use my walking foot/zigzag foot. I figured I could get straighter lines and be more consistent, but would have to pivot that quilt at every single corner. It was a pain in the booty, but I'm glad I stuck with my decision! The light gray thread I used just blends into those low volume squares, you almost can't see the quilting unless the light catches it! For the binding, I decided to take a note out of Scrapmaster and The Running Thimble's book and go low volume. I'm loving those little dots! :)

This isn't a very big quilt, but it's the perfect size for a car ride or to cover my lap while blogging or sewing on the couch.

And of course, a simple label. I decided to call it 'Peels of Patience' because the majority of the time I was sewing orange peels was in waiting rooms or waiting on other people. These peels saw many doctor offices, at least one emergency room, and several other places.

The backing really shows off the quilting, I love it!
I'm so glad to get this one finished and ready for some cuddles, though it will be weird to not have it to work on anymore. I'll just have to find another project for waiting rooms I guess!
Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and TGIFF! Also, this was my goal for OMG February! :) Also also, this was one of my goals for the 2016 Finish Along - First Quarter!
This quilt makes me so happy! :)

33 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! You did an amazing job. It's been great seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! It's so fun to be able to go back and see how this one has come together! :)

      Delete
  2. What a great name for your quilt! I love how you echoed around each peel with the quilting, really makes them stand out! Great finish, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! I couldn't quite settle on a name, but I kept coming back to Peels of Patience, so it stuck. :) I love how the peels puff up with the quilting, makes them seem even softer!

      Delete
  3. What a great quilt. Having hand stitching to do while waiting. . . . Such a good idea. I'm ready to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla! I was never one for hand stitching, but it's such a good way to make use of otherwise wasted time that I had. I have to come up with another project like this soon! And I'm sure you'll love it! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the quilting on the Orange Peel quilt. I have one languishing away in a closet waiting for quilting because I haven't thought of anything except stippling in the background. I may actually make a move on this with this idea percolating in my brain! Thanks for sharing your wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! It gives me warm fuzzies when somebody thinks my quilts are nice and you went above that and thought they were wonderful! :) I would love to see your orange peel quilt if you get it out and work on it!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I love the colors and the way they stand out against the low volume background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks tonijosews! I love vibrant color with low volume right now. :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! I love everything about this finish. Low volume, fun bright colour palette, fine quilting choice. Have I gushed enough for you? And the best part? It's for you to keep! I'll also say that sometimes I feel like you're a member of Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, since you reference our members (Linda @ Scrapmaster and Dominique @ The Running Thimble) and comment on a lot of guild members' blogs! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! Gush away, I won't complain! ;) I never realized how many bloggers from MMQG I followed for a long time until I saw you guys commenting on each others stuff and put it all together! Lol. I would totally be a part of y'all's guild if I was near enough! :)

      Delete
  7. Orange Peels is gorgeous and I can see why it makes you so happy. I smile every time I look at the pictures of it. You did a fantastic job. You deserve a blue ribbon for sure. I'm looking forward to see what's up next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I can't help but smile with this one either, it's just so colorful and happy. :) It has bumped the Supernova out of the favorite quilt position for me, this one is number 1 now! Lol.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking this beautiful finish to TGIFF. I love the low volume back ground and the colours you used for the peels. I also like the echo quilting around the peels and I think it was worth the effort...although it does take a long time for that technique. Now what will you do next?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! That quilting was time consuming, but so worth it in the long run. It makes for such a soft quilt and those lines are so much more precise. :) I've got some commissioned baby quilts I'm working on now, then it's back to the drawing board to see where I'm going next!

      Delete
  9. Very pretty, love the orange and blues. The quilting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous quilt! Your quilting looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing your OMG. It is very "a-peel-ing"! (But, boy, was I relieved to read that the peels are appliqued rather than pieced.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nann! Though it took a long time to applique them by hand, I am definitely not ready to try piecing that many curves!

      Delete
  12. The texture makes all that quilting time so worthwhile! Congrats meeting your goal with this cheerful finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! It's so satisfying to just run my hands over this one and feel the lovely softness. :) It certainly is a cheerful sight in this dreary, cold weather we're having!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful! Love the texture the quilting provides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moneik! The texture is one of many things I love about this quilt! :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Kaelyn! I love the bright happy colors, especially with the cold, nasty weather we've been having!

      Delete
  15. What a fabulous finish. I love how you've quilted it. So, what are you working on in waiting rooms now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maker Joy! My hands are sadly empty in waiting room right now. I did check out a book at the library about embroidery and glanced through it today! I'm thinking that might be my next thing to try! :)

      Delete
  16. This is a lovely quilt! Please add a link to your 2016 FAL Q1 list that you linked up in January to be eligible for prizes. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete