Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

WIP Wedneday: Supah-Nova

LBC wasn't too thrilled that I woke him up while snapping this pic on my lunch today
Howdy y'all, hope your week is going well. Mine is being particularly tiring, but I'm hanging on for Friday! I managed to get a backing and batting on Monday, so basting is in process. I think I like just about every aspect of making a quilt...but I absolutely LOATHE basting. My husband was watching me as I was basically rolling around the living room floor, muttering at my quilt over how much I hated basting it. And to make that hatred even stronger, I got around halfway done and checked the back. Guess what I found?? A big, dumb crease. Right. Smack. In. The. MIDDLE! *deep breath* I had to undo a huge section of pins and re-pin it again. I'm about 2/3rds of the way done, so hopefully my back and neck can hang on long enough for me to finish it up tonight so I can get back to the sewing machine!

Btw, has anybody dropped by Crazy Mom Quilts and seen that she's hosting a Scrap Vortex-along?! I don't have enough scraps to make a whole quilt, but I think I'm going to go along for the ride and see what I can do. What about you guys??

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

8 comments:

  1. Love your cat and your quilt. I included one of our cats in my WIP Wednesday too. I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne!! I can't resist getting the little guy in my photos, he's just a doll. :)

      Delete
  2. I'd have been miffed if you disturbed my nap too, poor LBC! Basting is a rotten chore, I loathe it as well. This is precisely what drove me into my first frame quilting set up....well, that and I was too frustrated by the wrangling of a quilt on my small machine. I clearly have no patience at all! That scrap vortex quilt is awesome! Great way to use your scraps before you end up with too many!
    My week has been rough too, thank God for whiskey.....come on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wakes me up enough every morning wanting breakfast, it shouldn't hurt him to have his nap interrupted! Lol. And if I had the room and money, I would consider getting something like a long arm. Maybe one day... :) And I adore that scrap vortex, it's amazing! And amen, bring on Friday after the time clock has been punched!

      Delete
  3. Have you ever tried spray basting? I've only used pins so far, but getting ready to spray base a larger quilt soon. I've been practicing my FMQ to decide how I'm going to quilt it. We live full-time in a 5th wheel so I'll be spray basting it on the road (cleaned off of course) on a sunny day here in the campground.

    The scrap vortex looks very interesting and I may just hop on that wagon and get rid of some scraps. However, I do have 3 quilt tops I need to get quilted and soon and given to the owners to make room for more. You might say I'm a bit addicted to quilting.

    Love your kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about spray basting but have yet to give it a try. I'll have to check it out! Let me know how it works out for you because I would probably have to baste outside as well unless I used my kitchen floor. Lol. And I adore Amanda Jean's Scrap Vortex, her scraps are always so fun! And as far as quilting addiction goes, there are far worse things to be addicted to, right? Hahaha

      Delete
  4. I am going to recommend spray basting as well, it works really nicely! Also, be sure to tack the edges of your backing down, I recommend with painters tape which does stick to carpet well enough and other surfaces without hurting them. I've gotten to where I spray baste my larger quilts then go through and tack the edges and a bit in the center (but not as heavily as usual) with a couple of my basting pins so the edges don't start to come undone as I'm moving the quilt around on my machine. I get my spray from JoAnn's, use that coupon! And have you heard of board basting? I saw a video on it a while back, and just found this link you might want to look at: http://www.right-sides-together.com/rst-guide-board-basting/

    Good luck with it all, and I love your LBC, adorable! I have an orange tabby and a little gray myself.

    ~Brandy
    pamperedpettit.blogspot.com
    brandizzle7133 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandy! I may try spray basting in the future if I can't get any better at pin basting. I'll have to get some painter's tape, I never remember to get any until it's too late! And thanks for the link! :)

      Delete