Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That...

Happy Friday y'all! I'm glad to see the end of this week, it's been a bit crazy around these parts! I've got several things to share today, so buckle up for the ride!

A little wee basket
First off, I made a little QAYG basket earlier this week before I got the supplies to continue with my Supernova quilt. I just dug through the scraps from making the top and just cut and pieced some squares. I used this tutorial as a guide, but of course I didn't follow it close so it ended up a little wonky. Lessons learned, I assure you. :) I've decided to toss my basting pins in it as I'm quilting since I didn't have a real container for them before.

Next up, a picture I thought was kind of funny. My little fold out table is being completely swallowed by the Supernova!! I've got my first 'round' of quilting done, starting in the center and radiating outward. I'm not sure what to do for the next layer, but I've got a full shift at work tomorrow and a high school graduation to sit through, so I'll hopefully have some time to ruminate over some ideas.

And last is sort of a finish. When I pull in to my apartment complex, I have to pass by the mailboxes and the dumpster area. I glanced over and, lo and behold, I saw this shelf sitting by the dumpster. A perfectly good bookshelf just being tossed out, it's madness! I parked and tossed my stuff on the kitchen table before running off to get my latest find. A quick wipe down with some pledge and this shelf was as good as new! I've stacked all of my fabric on it, amongst other things. As you can see by the chaos, I've essentially tossed all the Supernova fabric and backing leftovers, as well as my most recent fabric purchases, on top.  I'm not sure how I'll organize it, but it gets most everything out of the floor, which I'm thankful for. :)
That gawky Christmas box is holding all my Supernova scraps until I'm ready to sort them into the proper baskets!

If you stuck around this long, thanks for reading, I really appreciate it! Hopefully I'll get some major quilting done on Supernova by this time next week! Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday and Finish It Up Friday!

8 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a score! People in my neighbourhood tend to put broken concrete and fences by the side of the road. I think I need new neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time our neighbors have put anything good out since we moved here. I'm glad I saw it and was able to snatch it up! Hahaha

      Delete
  2. Great way to use of scraps. I enjoy making fabric baskets and things like this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to accumulate some scraps, so I have to find some way to use them up (and make room for more! Hahahaha!). Crazy Mom Quilts makes a lot of cute pin cushions, I might have to give that a try. :)

      Delete
  3. You have been busy. I have used spray basting on some quilting sandwiches I've made to practice my FMQ and it is working great. I'll let you know about the large quilt with I do it, hopefully this week.

    How are you quilting your supernova?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I have a combination of straight line and free motion quilting right now. My FMQ isn't the best, but I figured the only way to get better is to jump in and go for it! I'm almost done with the second 'round'. Not entirely sure how I'll do the rest, that grey background hosts so many possibilities!

      Delete
  4. I checked out five of Patsy Thompson's FMQ videos from the library and have been going through them and learning a lot. I think I've figured out what I'm going to use on my son's wedding quilt, but will thy some different ones on some left over squares I had to see what looks the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect (or good enough to be proud of. Lol)! I can tell a difference from when I first started until now, it's amazing how much can change!

      Delete