Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Starting Something New!

Happy Hump Day y'all! I am back to good health after a crummy weekend, thank the good Lord! I managed to get most of my materials cut for my new quilt even while sick, though it seemed to take forever. I only cut one or two bits at a time though, so that might be why. Lol.

I started out stoked to make some progress on this quilt and learn a new technique. And all that excitement led me here:

I was so embarrassed by this, I almost didn't share it!
Yeah. Rather than the gorgeous block demonstrated in the guidelines, I had a skewed tic-tac-toe board. I just sort of stared at it for a minute and thought, "What on earth am I doing?" After a quick breath, I looked back at the instructions and just studied the blocks on the quilt. I'm not one to pick up on patterns easy, but somehow I was able to visualize things a little better after just looking with intent.

So I started again, being more deliberate and focusing a bit harder on different aspects before. I managed to get one done and trimmed before heading to bed. I will say, I'm more proud of this one than my demented practice block! Hahahaha
Still not quite what I want, but soooooooo much better than the first try. Lol.

I'm hoping to save my practice block and match some seams a bit better as I move forward. Like usual, I'm on the fence about whether or not I can pull this off. I always have this self doubt with each quilt I make, it's hard to be confident with these things for some reason!

Also, I made a little more progress with my scrap vortex. I'm hoping to get some more blocks done this coming week so I can see some 'real' progress up on my design wall!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday! Have a good week y'all!

4 comments:

  1. I really like those sliver blocks. What tutorial are you using because there's a lady in my guild that does something similar? Don't be embarrassed to ever show anything either, it's how we all learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I found a link to this pattern on Sew Katie Did's blog. It was originally intended to be in the book, Quilting Modern, but there wasn't enough room for it according to the authors. Instead, it was offered for free! This is the site: http://www.quiltingdaily.com/free-modern-quilt-patterns/ . You do have to give your email so they can send you the patterns, but they don't spam your email or anything as far as I can tell. And thanks, as awful as that first block was, I'm glad I shared it. All I see is beautiful stuff on most quilt blogs, I might as well bring some ugly to the internet to balance things out a bit! Hahahaha

      Delete
  2. Your latest quilt adventure looks HARD!!!! I like how your scrap vortex is coming along nicely. I finally got mine started, but have been working 13 straight days with 14 hrs. put in yesterday. No quilting here until our area manager returns from a death in the family. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was challenging to start, but I've sort of found a rhythm and I'm enjoying it. It's time consuming (it takes me about an hour to make one block), but I'm not in any rush. :) And I really like having the scrap vortex to fall back on when I have those days where I just want to sew and not think too hard about it. I may only work on it one day each week, but it's worth it! And shew, I work some long days, but I've never worked 13 straight days before! That sounds rough!

      Delete