Pages

Monday, September 5, 2016

Technicolor Galaxy: Pocket Edition

Howdy y'all!  When quilty friend Jenn @ A Quarter Inch From the Edge asked if I wanted to swap a mini mini, I jumped at the chance! Of course I do! Swaps always make me nervous but excited - a great combination for fun ideas!
Technicolor Galaxy: Pocket Edition!

So I contemplated ideas for a while, but I kept coming back to Jenn's WIP, Technicolor Galaxy (that's her latest update, it is coming together so well!). It's a phenomenal skill builder, go ahead and check it out, I'll wait. :) I kept wondering how to make such a big, complicated looking quilt into a mini mini. My answer, of course, was "Eh, I'll wing it and figure it out!" Some things just don't change, do they? LOL
Precious bits of Alison Glass found its way into this, as well as some Kona and other random bits!
I wish I had taken progress pictures of this little bit of sweetness, but it was actually pretty simple! I improv pieced the low volume background and starched it for good measure, something I had never done before. I appreciated the stiffness while working though!  Each colored pieced was placed onto the background individually with Heat n' Bond, then stitched on with a tiny zigzag stitch! That was the hardest part of the whole bit, especially with the tiniest pieces! I pondered over quilting for a while before settling on simple hand quilting. I kept with the rainbow theme and switched thread colors with each little quadrant. And because it looked unfinished, I added the same treatment to the binding. :)
Teeny weeny zigzags!

I had to head out to my parents the day I had planned to mail this out, so I snapped some pics on their porch and with my ol' girl, Belle. She's blind now, so she doesn't mind sitting in the grass to model a mini mini. Back in her prime, she would have grabbed it and ran off! :)
Belle is practically Vanna White. ;)

And just for fun, I snapped a pic of a momma and baby deer wandering by behind my parents' garden. Little baby still has some spots even! And of course, my parents' puppy wanted to be in the spotlight too, so a quick picture of Jasmine to tide her over. ;)
Pretty momma deer and her baby
This is as still as I could get Jasmine. Her tail was, of course, a blur! LOL

I had so much fun with this swap and I'm really proud of what I made! Jenn made me a lovely kitty cat mini to look just like LBC, which you can see here! I love it to pieces and have it hanging on my mini wall front and center. LBC has even been snoozing underneath it, so he must love it as much as I do! :)

10 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful mini mini version of the Technocolour Galaxy, and I love all the pics of the animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! This was such a fun challenge. :) It's always fun to head to my parents' house, there are always critters running around! :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing & perfect for Jenn!

    Especially with Belle presenting it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I had so much fun making something just for Jenn's style. :) And Belle is the best quilt model in that household, hands down. Lol.

      Delete
  3. Amazing!! It's awesome that you were able to recreate it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anja! I had so much fun tackling this challenge! Those little bits almost drove me batty a few times, but I'm happy with the end result. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! That's a tiny little version of the technicolor galaxy! Nicely done! The hand quilting is perfect. I really like how it transitions colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I loved shrinking down such a beautiful quilt for Jenn! It was a fun challenge for sure and I loved doing it. :) I'm not much of a hand quilter, but I loved adding the rainbow quilting to this little quilt. It makes me want to hand quilt more! :)

      Delete
  5. I recognized what inspired your mini mini right away. Beautiful! That rainbow stitch on the binding is just the right thing to finish it too! Great job!
    And cute doggies too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I had so much fun working on this; Technicolor Galaxy is such a gorgeous piece to imitate! :) I loved hand quilting this and I felt like the stitches on the binding was just the right kind of icing for this quilty cake. :)

      Delete