Pages

Friday, September 23, 2016

The Quilt With No Name: A Finished Quilt Top

Howdy y'all, and happy Friday! I'm excited to unveil my latest finished quilt top! You saw a sneak peek of it on Wednesday, but here it is in all its glory! :)
The lovely Belle, back and ready to continue her quilt modeling. :)
As I said on Wednesday, this is a pattern of my own design, though only because I couldn't find one that suited my idea. I couldn't find an on-point square that fit the image in my head, so to the drawing board I went! It was easy enough and I'm thrilled with the result. Funnily enough, the design idea came to me back in the winter while playing video games with my husband. We were waiting for a game to load and the loading screen really struck me. I doodled the basic image in my notebook and hung onto it for inspiration to strike.

Those little intersection squares finish at 1 inch square! :)
That inspiration struck with my Alison Glass fabric! But what to pair it with? If you've followed for a while, you know I admire Kitty Wilkin over at Night Quilter. She really has a way with color, especially rainbows! And she really made me want to use Essex Linen in a quilt. For my birthday, I splurged and got, not regular Essex Linen, but a METALLIC Essex Linen. Oh. My. Goodness. I was giddy when I opened it and saw the shiny!

Depending on how the light hits the linen, it can appear metallic or flat. Makes for interesting pictures! Lol.
To my surprise, I plan on hand quilting this one. I know, weird for me, right?! But the buzz from hand quilting Technicolor Galaxy: Pocket Edition seems to have hung around because all I can see is rainbow hand quilting when I look at this quilt top. I figure I'll wait until the quilting is done to trim off the excess fabric around the edges, even if it looks funny right now! Lol.
This one really shows off the shimmer!
I had hoped for a better photoshoot for this top, but alas, not all wishes come true! So I took it with me when I went to my parents' house to do some work. I tried hanging it on the clothes line, but eventually just spread it out in the yard. The girls, Belle and Jasmine, couldn't help but get involved! Belle, of course, thinks she's a quilt model after I told her how much everybody liked her last time! ;) Now it's just time to dig through my batting pieces and hope I find one big enough for this!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday, TGIFF, and Finish or Not Friday!

16 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful Quilt Top. The rainbow fabrics of Allison Glass look great on the background of metallic linen. Who would have thought to add metalic threads to linen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I never knew there was metallic linen, I just happened upon it as I window shopped online. I absolutely loved working with it and that shine is to die for! I feel like it paired with AG's fabrics perfectly. :)

      Delete
  2. I love how this is turning out! The pattern is great and the fabics look super against the black. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heide! I wasn't sure how this one would look when I started, but it has come together even better than I imagined! I'm looking forward to getting some quilting started! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Dog. This is fabulous! Love the shimmer...
    I recently played with some of the metallic Essex linens, aren't they great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! The shimmer is such a fun surprise with this one, I'm glad I splurged and got it! The metallic linens are absolutely fabulous, I can see why people love working with Essex linens. Definitely plan to keep them in mind for future projects. :)

      Delete
  4. Oooooh...shiny. Good luck with hand quilting. Can't wait to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anja! I'll need all the good luck I can muster to do the hand quilting! I'm excited though, it'll be a new experience. :)

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful Jennifer. I haven't tried Essex Linen yet although I have been looking at the shows for it! I want to feel it before I order online! Have fun with the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abigail! It was a lot softer than I expected, being linen and all. I had never actually seen or felt it before it arrived at my door, so it was a bit nervewracking opening it up! Lol. The Alison Glass fabric is soft as butter though, so there's definitely a difference of texture (not a bad difference though!) I'm nervous yet excited to tackle the hand quilting, I feel like it will help me keep my sanity by slowing down. :)

      Delete
  6. This is a fantastic quilt top. You could certainly sell the pattern as it is a great one. Love all the colors against the gray background. I really, really love it. Great job Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I toyed with the idea of trying to write this one up as a pattern, but it seems too simple. I wasn't sure anybody would actually buy it. Maybe a tutorial? Hmmm...things to think about! My brain is loving bold colors, so the bolder the better lately! And that gray sparkly linen is to die for. :)

      Delete
  7. Great quilt, I love the metallic Essex linen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I was worried it would be too much at first, but it is absolutely fabulous! I'm so glad I splurged for that extra sparkle. :)

      Delete
  8. First..i love your blog. And. I just adore this quilt. The colours pop right out. Fantastic. I have been wanting to make a quilt with grey as a background...oh ... for...a year or so. But havent quite got there. I end up making gift quilts for everyone and not any time to just play for me. I didnt even think of using a sparkly one...bright colours look stunning. Great job. And wow you will hand quilt it! Go for it....keep on stitchin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Avid Quilter!! I love this quilt more every time I see it. It's just so fulfilling to dream up a quilt and have it turn out just how I imagined it (at least this far!). What's funny is, besides a couple of baby quilts, I almost always use gray as a background neutral. I'm not sure why, that's just how it has always been! I can understand not always having time to sew for yourself, gifts and commissions always have a way of pushing personal projects back. And hand quilting is going swimmingly, I'm loving it! I just wish I was faster at it! Lol.

      Delete