Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

WIP Wednesday: Do You Believe in Magic...And Pink?

Howdy y'all! I hope your week is going well. I had intentions to blog about these two WIP's sooner, but sewing time trumps blogging time any day these days. But I finally made myself take pictures and sit down to write out a post and I'm so glad I did. I'm excited to share what I've been stitching lately!

First up, some simple squares. If you've been around here long, you know pink is not my color. It never has been, even since I was younger! But on one of those bad days, I saw some leftover fabric from different baby quilts and decided I needed to cut some squares. So I sliced and diced as many as I pleased, then I put a dent in my gray fabrics as well.
I love those little love birds! :)

Before I knew it, I had a mess of squares! I chainpieced a storm and now I've got rows of pink and gray ready to be joined together. I actually made enough that I should have 2 little baby quilts in the end! It's funny how bad days made fun quilts. :)
Every Harry Potter quilt needs a Golden Snitch!

And next is a long term project that I am so excited to have started! I stumbled across the Harry Potter Project of Doom Quilt Along on Fandom In Stitches. Like most people, I absolutely LOVE Harry Potter and I love the idea of an HP themed bookcase! This quilt combined those ideas into an awesome and personalized quilt. The quilt along is long over, but the patterns are still together and full of so much potential. Even better, the Facebook group is still hopping with quilters posting their progress and cheering each other on daily!

A candle for the night time reading that is sure to occur. ;)
I was on the fence about starting because 'What if I need more fabric?!' After pining for a couple of weeks, I decided to take to the stash! It isn't big, but I've got quite a bit of fabric and plenty of scraps. With a bit of quilty ingenuity, I decided to make this a scrappy quilt and have fun exploring the gems I can find hidden amongst the piles. :) 
Colorful books - a nice easy block to get the wheels turning!

And oh, the fun I've had! Rather than follow the quilt along week-by-week, I decided to pick and choose which blocks to work on as I go. I've got four blocks finished and the fifth one is nearly completed as well!
I knew I had to make a quill from that zebra fabric! And the C+S arrow fabric looks like a broomstick a little bit. :)
Happy Wednesday y'all! I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social over at Sew Fresh Quilts!

7 comments:

  1. I always believe in pink. Believe it or not, I used to despise pink! For years and years! And then, somehow, a switch flipped. It's fun to see your WIPs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! The Queen of Pink didn't like pink at one point?! Then there's hope for me yet! Lol. I'm becoming partial to really bright, loud pinks (like the pink and white polka dot print), but I'm still resisting actually liking it. Hahaha

      Delete
  2. A Harry Potter quilt is an interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing more blocks. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anja! The paper piecing is definitely stretching my skills, I'm learning a lot of patience with these! Lol. Looking forward to working on it more though. :)

      Delete
  3. Love your Harry Potter blocks you have made and look forward to seeing more as you make them. I haven't read any of those books, but keep meaning to get them from the library. Maybe I'll actually do that now that life is getting back to normal. Quilty hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, you should definitely read them! I grew up reading and re-reading them; most of my copies are getting dogeared from being so loved. :) I'm actually re-reading them again as I make these blocks!

      Delete
    2. All the Harry Potter books were checked out at the library which is no surprise so I ordered the first book for my Kindle. I'm in the middle of a book now, but will start the Sorcerer's Stone as soon as I finish the one I'm reading. I grew up reading Nancy Drew. :)

      Delete