Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2016

'When Life Goes to Pieces, Make a Quilt': A Finish

I tossed it in the chair to get ready to label it and turn around to this!
Howdy y'all, I hope your weekend is treating you well. The rain stopped earlier this morning and the sun (and heat) came back with a vengeance afterwards. It didn't take long for things to dry up, letting me take some pictures of my most recent finish.
Texture x 10000000000!
You've seen these scrappy blocks before here and here. They were a part of Crazy Mom Quilts' Scrap Vortex Along (that link takes you to her quilt along page, and the scrap vortex one is at the bottom). I made some blocks in my spare time, but at the time, I didn't have enough scraps to make a full quilt of those blocks. And when I had enough scraps, I didn't actually want to take the time to make a full quilt of those blocks (yet!).
Scrappy happy blocks and rainbow thread. :)
Seeing those blocks laying on my shelf, I knew I had to do something! So I paired them with some lovely Kona Coal to make those colors really pop!
The quilting looks much better on the back than the front.
I had so much hope for the quilting, but it fell a bit flat in my eyes. I dreamed of spirals for weeks as this one slowly came together. I would sew a seam or two when I had the time, the quilt top slowly taking shape. But I could see the quilting so clearly. I think my fabric shifted some though, because things got a bit bunchy in places on the front. But I couldn't make myself rip it out, I was so far along. And, honestly, I couldn't have yet another disappointment. So I left it and just kept going, cringing as I did. I just prayed that the washer and dryer could work some magic and erase some of my quilting sins.
A lot of mistakes are hidden by those crinkles!
And it did! The worst is still there (lower left center area), but many of the little wrinkles and tucks were disguised by the lovely crinkle. Thank the Lord for Color Catchers, hot water, and high heat, am I right?
The happiest little quilt roll I've ever made. :)
I topped this one off with a scrappy binding. I actually made twice as much binding by accident (when you get on a roll cutting fabric, there's no stopping!), so some of my favorite prints didn't make it in. But oh, these little critters lined up perfectly and it might be my favorite part of the entire quilt.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
And a label. From pretty early on, I intended to call this quilt 'Controlled Chaos' because those scrappy blocks are contained so well in the Kona. But life has a funny way of shifting ideas and perspectives. I won't bore y'all with the details, but for quite a while, it truly has felt like life has gone to pieces. And like the label says, I dig in and make quilts. Because if one thing can bring me happiness and joy, it is making a quilt, even if it is wonky! 

So for now, my heart is content and I'm going to cling to that for as long as I can. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! I hope to be able to share another finish later this week, I'm just waiting for it to make its way to its new home first! :)

6 comments:

  1. Jennifer I hope you life is coming back together somehow after falling to pieces. The quilt is really beautiful . I love that you used the Kona Coal to contain the scrappy improv blocks. You have a very handsome dog sitting on the quilt in the first photo. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Life is one day at a time anymore, which isn't always a bad thing. My mantra has become 'Choose Joy', even if it is harder some days! Haha. I really like the Kona Coal, such a strong grey that works well with just about everything. And I may be biased, but Elvis just might be the most handsome dog ever. ;)

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is gorgeous! I love what you did with the vortex blocks. I still have mine in a tub back home and may just try doing something like you did. Just call me a copycat. :) The gray really makes your blocks pop and the quilting is perfect, I don't care what you say about it. Hugs to help you pick up all those life pieces. Elvis is quite the handsome dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Mine had been sitting on my shelf for far too long before I thought of this layout. I think I had been looking at some 'modern quilts' and this just sort of came together. All that negative space intimidated me at first though! And copy away, I'm sure yours will look even more fabulous! :) Thanks for the hugs, LBC, Elvis, and I appreciate them!

      Delete
  3. I opened this post and flipped out over the quilting. I think it looks amazing! I only wish I had the guts to try something like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! I'm so glad I took the leap and tried it out, even if its not quite as nice as I like. That just gives me an excuse to do it again! Lol

      Delete