Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Learning Something New!

Howdy y'all! I'm so excited to share what I've learned this past week!
You guessed it!
PAPER PIECING!!


That's right, I learned paper piecing and, even more shocking, I didn't hate it! I was actually a bit scared to try it out. I've read so many horror stories of how confusing and stressful it is and how people spend more time with their seam ripper than anything else. The funny thing is, none of those things happened. I barely had to use my seam ripper! I thought ahead and used solids so there wasn't a 'wrong side' of the fabric to fool with as I learned my basics.
Such pretty little points, makes my heart sing...
I used a free pattern from a blogger I follow, SLOstudio. She has some paper piecing patterns for free on her Craftsy page, you should check them out! I chose this one because it didn't seem too scary but was still interesting. I looked up a couple of videos on Youtube and decided to just dig in and give it a whirl.
Hello world!
And before I knew it, I had a finished block! I celebrated and continued on each evening until I had 4 blocks ready to be sewn together. They aren't perfect by any means, but I couldn't be happier with my first attempt at paper piecing.

I plan to get this one quilted soon, but I have no idea what to do with the quilting. Any suggestions?
I told LBC he needed a picture for the blog so he showed me his good side! :)
Thanks for reading, Happy Hump Day, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. That's really impressive for a first attempt at paper piecing. It's a really cool pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm really glad I chose this pattern for my first; it was challenging enough to keep it interesting yet simple enough that I didn't get discouraged. I also loved how many ways you could turn the blocks to make different big blocks. I could barely decide what to choose before sticking with the basic layout. It's so striking! :)

      Delete
  2. It looks GREAT!!! Hope you had fun doing it and will be doing more in the future. Maybe just stitch in the ditch. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I had an absolute blast doing this! I can't wait to try out more paper piecing in the future, it's opened so many doors I feel like. :) I may have to stitch ditch this little guy, I feel like any other quilting may overwhelm the impact of the piecing.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! The block looks great. I've been tempted by the pattern many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I kept going back to it and eventually just decided it was time. I'm so glad I did, this opens up a new door of sewing! :)

      Delete