Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

A Little Finish: A Charity Baby Quilt


Howdy y'all! I've got a finish to share this week! The Charity Quilt that you've seen bits and pieces of over the last month is finally finished! I had hoped to get some better pictures of it, but it has rained almost all week here so indoor pictures will have to do. :(
Fabric courtesy of Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation (I linked to her blog at the end of this post!)
This baby quilt started as a bundle of fabric I won in a giveaway. I love the cute little prints, but I never knew what to do with it. After hanging onto it for nearly a year, it finally hit me: a baby quilt! But for who?...To give away, of course!
Yes, I did do a quilt photo shoot on top of a dog kennel...it's been a long week!
This was just the mindless sewing I needed! Easy half square triangles, an easy layout, and easy quilting made for an all around soothing experience.

The backing is just the bigger cuts of leftover fabric, along with some smaller squares to make it a bit taller. It sort of makes it a reversible quilt!

The quilting is...I'm not entirely sure. It was inspired by some quilting I saw by Anja over at Anja Quilts. She says she hates actually quilting her quilts, but she's pretty darn good at it! This was a pretty quick and easy design, but I'm still not 100% sold on it. 

Even the binding was easy, which is insane for me! Lol. I love how scrappy the binding is! I almost used all of my scraps from these fabrics to make the binding, I'm so happy about that!
Now I just have to contact the local hospitals and see if any of them will take this quilt, along with some other things I've made! Have a happy Friday y'all!
My quilting helper *had* to do some quality control before this one gets lint rolled and ready for delivery! :)

Linking up with Finish it Up Friday and Needle and Thread Thursday!

This finish is my goal for OMG April, I'm linking up just under the wire with this one! :)

Also, this is another finish for the Quarter 2 Finish-A-Long list, which you can see here!

17 comments:

  1. How kind of you to make a charity quilt out of your winnings. The scrappy binding works well and a reversible quilt is great for little ones. Great job Jennifer.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I love a good scrappy binding! And a reversible quilt is always fun! :)

      Delete
  2. I think the quilting design looks great in the white areas of the quilt...it gives them a little bit of pop. The scrappy binding completes the quilt so nicely. It will make a wonderful gift for a special baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! The more I look at it, the more the quilting has grown on me. It definitely helps things pop! I love scrappy bindings, I think this one might be my favorite and most scrappy! :) If all goes as planned, this will be headed to the NICU of a local hospital soon.

      Delete
  3. It's terrific Jennifer! Makes me realize I need to grab some of the fabric lolling about around here (there is rather a lot) and do something similar with them, very striking, and I love what you did on the back. Anja! My friend! It's a great design you did. Love the shot on top of the dog kennel! Rain up here for the past two days too, well, not today, just damp overcast and generally miserable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! My stash isn't overwhelming, but I have some fabric that has been sitting idle far too long. It's been a goal and a necessity to sew from the fabric I have this year and it is actually going well! 😊 It's still raining here sadly, it feels like we're going to wash away. I'm hoping for dry weather soon!

      Delete
  4. I really like the layout for this. It's a great finish, and the quilting is also great. Congrats on achieving your OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! If I had a bit of foresight, I could have made the white areas squares instead of bits of HST's, but where's the fun in planning? Hahaha

      Delete
  5. Pretty color combo! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vera! These bright fabrics definitely brightened things up while the weather has been dark and dreary.

      Delete
  6. Making charity baby quilts is a wonderful way to use up some of those bundles and a way to "just sew" without a lot of worries about how it will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Jen! This was such a relaxing project. It goes to a good cause and helps shrink my fabric stash, win-win! 😊

      Delete
  7. It is beautiful and a baby is going to give it lots of love. I've just started making charity quilts and loving every second. Hooray for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! It's such a thrill being able to make something however you want and know that it will find a home where it is loved. :)

      Delete
  8. I am 100% sold on the quilting design - it looks great! Love the whole quilt, and it reminds me of a Kelly Quilt, especially with the pieced backing! Great job on your goal:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! The more I look at it, the more the quilting grows on me. :) It kind of does look like a Kelly quilt, how awesome! And such a compliment being compared to her, thank you!

      Delete
  9. What is nice about where you want to give this quilt to, is I think back to when Mr. LBC was in the Nicu, no matter how serious the reason they are in there it's scary, and this would have been a wonderful bright spot in a icky situation, and oh the memories it will bring back each time the lucky parents who get this will have. I love the bright colors, especially the orange! I don't know much at all about quilting but I do know what's beautiful and this is,just like Jen!

    ReplyDelete