Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Throwback Thursday: The Quilt I Wish I Could Change

Please ignore all the laundry in the floor and instead pay attention to our devilishly handsome cat. Lol.
Howdy y'all, it's that time of the month again! That's right, Throwback Thursday is upon us once again! This month, I'm sharing the only quilt I'm not particularly proud of. And what frustrates me even more is this quilt was made for my mother.
It's like Tetris with fabric!
After making all the kid quilts for Christmas 2014, my Dad approached me and asked me to make a quilt for my Mom. He said he would pay for the supplies and throw in some extra for my time. I would have made it without being given a dime, but it was a nice plus. :)
If only I could go back, I would change that awful quilting job! This quilt (and my Mom) deserved more!
It all went downhill from there. I struggled to find a layout I liked so I winged it (of course). And honestly, the result isn't that bad. But I'm furious with myself over the quilting. It's just...meh. And there's a gigantic pucker on the back. The quilter that I am now would seam rip and fix it before it left my sewing room. The quilter I was back then was apparently okay with it. Ugh!

I have plans to make another quilt for my Mom eventually. But then, I want to make a quilt for my Dad too! Maybe one for the two of them? Hmmm... decisions, decisions! Lol. Anyway, that wraps up my Throwback Thursday post. Head on over to A Quarter Inch From the Edge to check out all the quilts linked up! :)

11 comments:

  1. One of the great things about moms is that they love everything you make - from the popsicle stick coaster collaged with magazine pics to the quilt with a pucker in the backing. And we all learn as we go! Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! That is one good thing about Mom's, they love the good, the bad, and especially the ugly! Lol. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, don't be so hard on yourself. That was the quilter you were then and that's okay. And I bet your mom loves it. The thing about quilts is there's no limit to how many you can give someone. So now you can make another for your mom. And another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JanineMarie! She does love the quilt (only the way a mother can), so all is well. But I love her too much to give her something less than my best. And isn't wonderful that there's no limit on the number of quilts to be gifted?! Makes my quilty heart sing! :)

      Delete
  3. But just think how much you have grown as a quilter since then. Good luck deciding on what to make for her next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! It is fun to see how I've grown in my skills, even if there is so much still to work on and learn. I feel like the hardest part will be deciding on the pattern and fabrics for another one! Lol.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure your mom loves it as well. It's such an interesting layout and very pretty with the blues and whites....You really have grown amazingly with your quilting ability, so the next quilt will knock her socks off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Mom does love it, but I hate to give her less than the best because I feel like Mom deserves the best. :) Thank you so much for the compliment, it makes me giddy that others can see the growth that I was hesitant to recognize!

      Delete
  5. Bet your Mom adores it! Our skills improve over time and when we look back, it will show. I have one or two that I wonder what the heck I was thinking. But they are still loved and still used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Mom (and Dad for that matter) love everything I make it seems. Lol. I think that's why I've stuck with crafting and creating for as long as I have. Because they said they loved the ugliest little things I would bring to them, brimming with pride that I had made them! Hahaha! Seeing them proud of my growth and what I have made really gives me a boost. :)

      Delete
  6. Mom's and Dad's are the best and the quilt for your mom is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete