Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Owl Tag Toy: A Finish

Howdy y'all! As hard I tried, I couldn't think of a clever owl-related pun for the title. Lol. I feel like I've been sewing up a storm lately (on the days I actually get to!) but don't have much progress to show. Today, however, I've got a finish to share!
Those wings are actually a little crinkly!

I was commissioned to make a tag toy for a baby. I didn't know much about these little things until I headed over to Pinterest and apparently these are awesome for babies. Or something. I'm not sure, but it was fun to make!
Snuggly owl belly! Love the little hearts on that white flannel

I was showed a picture of an owl tag toy from Etsy and was told to make something like it. So to the drawing board I went! I drafted a little pattern in no time at all (thank goodness for simple toys!). Things got a little fiddly at times as I was learning as I went, but after a prototype (and the surprise of ribbons being on the inside of the wings rather than the outside), I got this little bit of lovely put together!
I just want to snuggle into that minky fabric, so soft!
I hand embroidered the eyes and the beak is made out of the same ribbon as the 'feet'.
Lady owl has a beauty spot on her beak. :)
I tested out my tiny embroidery skills to make a label! I absolutely love it! It took a bit of extra time, but it's such a cute touch, I think it was worth it. :)
Tiny yet I love it!
From the sounds of things, I might be making a few more of these in the future! I thought of maybe making a tutorial for this if anybody was interested, so let me know in the comments if you would like to see a tutorial!

This is the first finish I can mark off my Quarter 2 Goals List for the Finish-A-Long!

Have a great week y'all! :)

7 comments:

  1. Your owl is so cute. I bet the recipient will love it to pieces. I've not heard of tag toys before, but then no little ones in my family these days. The beauty mark and your label are perfect touches to the toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! There are kiddos in my family and I still hadn't heard of these things. There's so much possibility with the designs and materials, I'm sure this won't be my last go-around with this! :)

      Delete
  2. He's beautiful! Kudos on creating him. I think you should do a tutorial. I'd definitely give it a try. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! It's relatively simple, so I feel like it would be a good project for dipping my toe into the tutorial writing pool! :)

      Delete
  3. How about "Whooo's got a finish?" Hee hee hee. Honestly, the puns just roll out of me. It's a lovely wee taggie. I'm sure the little recipient will love it. Your embroidery skills seem to be coming right along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha, thanks Jenn! You certainly are the queen of puns it seems! :) I may have actually squealed at how cute that little label turned out. I may just start making embroidered labels for my quilts if I'm not in a time crunch!

      Delete