Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

WIP Wednesday: It's The Quilting That Never Ends

Howdy y'all, happy Wednesday! I hope everybody is staying warm; if it's anything like my town, it has been absolutely freezing lately. We finally got our first 'real' snow of the season that stuck, with a crazy forecast for the weekend (18 inches of snow in KY? What is that madness?!). I've been splitting my evenings between huddling on the couch for warmth, mature adult leisure activities playing Lego Marvel Heroes with Mr. LBC, and quilting City Blocks. I have quilted. And quilted. And quilted. Oh, and quilted some more.


NEVER AGAIN.

If I ever start talking about pebbling large scale again, virtually smack the fire out of me and remind me of this. Remind me of how I've quilted for nearly a month and this SOB still isn't done. (If you haven't noticed, I might have been muttering bad words at this quilt for a while. Lol). And with such dense quilting, this most likely won't be a cuddler, but a hanger. So in that future sewing room that doesn't exist yet, I'll have to reserve some wall space for this because with all the time I've put in, it's going to be appreciated, dangit! :)
LBC just couldn't resist. :)
I've nearly finished quilting though! I've got one more teal section left to go, which is a walk in the park compared to the pebble sections. I wanted to finish it tonight, but I tweaked my back at work yesterday and it's been giving me fits. So it will have to sit for another night before the quilting is finally done!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday and NTT!

14 comments:

  1. It might take ages but it does look fabulous! I decided to reserve fmq for small areas, I can't take doing it all over and I do like softer quilts with less dense quilting - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! I love larger scale FMQ because it's soft and squishy, as well as fast! I don't plan to quilt this densely for a long time, it's just too much for me. Hahaha!

      Delete
    2. You can quilt really dense and still have a super cuddly quilt if you use wool batting! Cotton gets pretty stiff,,but wool stays really soft, especially after you wash it once!

      Delete
    3. Thanks SonJa, I never knew that! I'll definitely have to remember that in the future for when I'm feeling crazy again. ;)

      Delete
  2. Well, it is lovely, even if it took forever! I really like the pebble look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Those pebbles make fantastic texture, but they take soooooo long. Lol.

      Delete
  3. Saw this quilt on Freshly Pieced, Jennifer. This is a stunning quilt--I love the improv spirit of it--and your technique for the blocks is beautiful. Not to mention your quilting (even if it is driving you crazy :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Karen! This quilt is really different from what I've made in the past, but I've really enjoyed the journey. Improv is definitely a tool in my quilty tool box I will be using in the future! :)

      Delete
  4. Keep on keeping on, girl! The end is near....and it's awesome! Can't wait to see it out full in all it's FMQ & improv glory.....
    Glad to see LBC there giving you his undying support and encouragement... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val, I'm hanging in there! I'm hoping to get the binding on tomorrow and hopefully get pretty pictures in the snow that is due to hit! LBC claimed this while it was being made, but Elvis swooped in and claimed it while I was squaring it up in the floor. He played model for a while before snoozing on it for a while. Both of them have been cheering me on it feels like! Lol.

      Delete
  5. I like that quilt and I LOVE bubble quilting. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zen Quilter! I can enjoy it more now that the quilting is done! :)

      Delete
  6. It is beautiful.

    I'll remind you of your large scale pebbling, but only if you return the favour. I'm having the same experience with my current project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maker Joy! Now that it's done, I'm quite fond of it. I don't plan on jumping on the crazy train again anytime soon though! Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one who was having fits over pebbling, you can power through it! :)

      Delete