Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

WIP Wednesday: If All Else Fails, Quilt the Crap Out of It

Happy Hump Day, y'all! Wednesday is upon us and I have a sneak peek at my current work in progress. If you have been around here much, you know that City Blocks has been nagging at my mind for a while. I had been throwing around quilting ideas for months with no success. Nothing seemed right. Then I ran across a pattern that has several names, though the two I like are 'boxy stipple' and (my personal favorite) 'the robot'. It works so well in those big sections of solid teal!

But how to quilt those improv areas? I sat at my machine for quite a while, swapping out thread colors repeatedly, lining things up, then balking because it just didn't feel right. I was so afraid of messing things up! Finally, I just had to give up the notion that I would find a perfect quilting pattern. Instead, I went on the flip side and decided to quilt the crap out of this thing. The only areas that won't be quilted are those little sections of color in the improv areas! I've been learning pebbles as I fill in the white areas with loooooooottttssssss of pebbles! It's fun and the texture is out of this world so far!

It's taking a while to get such dense quilting done, but I'm enjoying it. :) Hope y'all have an awesome day!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

8 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Dog.
    The pebbles! They look fabulous! I just can't wait to see the big reveal...
    Keep on quiltin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! Pebbles are slow work and eat thread like crazy. But man, they look so pretty. Lol. I'm putting my nose to the grindstone today in hopes of knocking out a chunk of quilting today! :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck. I haven't tried pebbles yet. I'm hoping to try the boxy stipple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I can see why pebbles are normally just a filler for small places. They take a lot of thread and a lot of time. But once I started, I couldn't stop! Lol. I like the boxy stipple, it's definitely one I'll be using again like my loop-dee-do's. :)

      Delete
  3. It's looking awesome! That pattern you describe as The Robot is called Etch-a-Sketch in my mind! :) I like the idea of leaving the turquoise and red lines unquilted. They're really going to pop. If you're not already using them, quilting gloves are very useful when pebbling a lot. Otherwise you can get a lot of neck and shoulder strain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh, I like Etch-a-Sketch too! I'll have to remember that one. :) I haven't tried quilting gloves before. I had heard of them, but had never had anybody actually talk about using them and why they were a benefit. I've been getting up for a little stretch every bobbin or so, otherwise my back is stiff as a board! :P

      Delete
  4. It looks amazing, that is going to be a lot of quilting though! Do you tend to keep going with just that one project till it's done, so you can leave it in the machine between sewing sessions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wonky! It is a lot of quilting. I'm in the home stretch now, but I've been cursing my decision to quilt so much. Lol. It's a pain in the back and has taken forever, but ohhhhhh the texture. It won't be very cuddly, but I may hang it up whenever I have a sewing room (whenever that may be). And with this one, I've stuck with just this project so I don't have to fool with switching bobbins and tensions and what not. I'm just lazy when it comes to those things. Lol. (I feel like I answered that with email, but I can't remember now. Lol).

      Delete