Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Missed Punchline: A Finished Quilt



I almost called this quilt 'Blank Spaces' but realized that Taylor Swift has a song or album or something by that name. And I like T. Swizz and all, but I just couldn't do it. I mulled over the name of this quilt for a while, knowing what I wanted to convey but not quite able to find the right combination of words to do so. And after all that, I left the name off the label. In fact, only you guys will know the name because I won't tell anybody in my family its title.

I decided to name this quilt 'Missed Punchline', not so much for the quilt but for the recipient. I touched lightly on the motivation behind this quilt here, but looking back, I was frustratingly vague and for that I apologize. I wasn't ready to lay my cards on the table then, but now I am.

This quilt is for my grandmother. We've never had the best relationship and for a long time, that really bothered me. As I grew up and became an 'adult', I came to terms with it and for the most part, I didn't let it bother me. Though it started slowly, my grandmother has been in a decline for about a year or so. Nobody in my family has told me specifically, but my grandmother has dementia or Alzheimer's (or are they the same thing? I need to educate myself on this more). And even though she has hurt me countless times in the past, my heart hurts for her in the most awful way. I can't imagine the frustration, confusion, and fear of slowly losing myself and not knowing while everybody around me seems to know exactly what is going on. That is where the name of this quilt came from. Sometimes when I'm with my grandmother, she will look around at everything, completely clueless but too afraid to say that she doesn't understand. It's like she's missed the punchline of a joke but just laughs along because everybody else is.

The quilt began out of necessity but I hated it early on. Every time I looked at it, it just made me mad. There were times I would just scowl at the blocks or the top, fuming at it for no reason. But as I worked my way through, it was sort of like I was letting go of all that stuff that was making me angry. The quilting especially was a favorite of mine. I'm not one for straight line quilting, but no other quilting was acceptable in my mind. And despite one wonky corner, this is the best quilt binding I've had I think. The label was like the cherry on top. I sat in the floor and stitched it on by hand, savoring every little stitch. By the time I was finished, this quilt made me smile in the most comforting way.
It's funny, this is my favorite picture of the whole shoot!
Though it isn't my style at all, I like this quilt. I like the snuggly flannel backing, the scrappy binding, and the fact that I remembered to put a label on it. I hope my grandmother likes it. I made it kind of small because she's a little lady and isn't the strongest, so I wanted her to be able to carry it around the nursing home if she gets cold (which she always is). I'm hoping to overcome my fear and go visit her this week with my mom. I want to give this quilt to her sooner rather than later, and I want to be the one to give it to her. She forgets me sometimes, but when she does remember me, I want it to be good things.

I feel so serious after typing all that, yikes! I promise I am smiling, especially after pestering everybody in the house with my latest finish. I made Mr. LBC and Elvis wear it like a cape, and LBC got a little snuggle with it before I hung it on my quilt ladder for safe keeping. I'm not sure what to do next, I have a few options to choose from. We'll just have to wait and see! Happy Sunday y'all!

10 comments:

  1. I like the white spaces and straight line quilting was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I knew I wanted 16-patches, but I didn't want a typical layout, so this is what I came up with! :)

      Delete
  2. Funny how we can often find some sort of solace and therapy in our craft...sounds like this quilt will/has benefited both your grandma and yourself. Dementia and Alzhiemers are indeed cruel diseases and take everything the person holds dear, dignity included. My father in law is well on his way to an imaginary world making the brief moments of clarity all the more special. I hope she is having a "good day" when you visit her with her special quilt...she will love it!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val. :) I never realized how truly terrible they are until it happened to my grandmother. When she's having a good time, she's actually more pleasant than she used to be! Lol. But bad days are just that - bad. So sorry to hear your father in law is in the same battle as well. I'm hoping she likes it when I deliver it; if not, I may just have to try again on another day.

      Delete
  3. What a healing story, but also a sad one. You are an amazing granddaughter and this quilt is a wonderful gift for your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I do feel like some healing happened with the creation of this quilt. I'm almost sad to see it go after all that! :)

      Delete
  4. Glad the whole process helped even though it was not fun at times it was worth it. I really like the binding too around this and giving a quilt is giving a hug and hugs worth both ways, healing yourself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! A quilt really is like a hug, it can't be beat! When I'm feeling down, wrapping up in a quilt always makes me feel a little better. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this personal story, Jennifer! This is so thoughtful and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! It didn't feel right to not share the motivations behind this quilt and I'm so glad I did. It was surprisingly freeing to share with you guys, I'm thankful to have friends in the blogosphere. :)

      Delete