Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

WIP Wednesday: The 'What Was I Thinking' Commission

Happy Wednesday y'all, though it's nearly gone by now! I've been working away all day, most of it at the clinic, then running errands with Mr. LBC, then upstairs to my sewing machine and this project when we got home. I started this on Sunday and basically every spare minute has been devoted to working on this. "Why?" you may be asking, when I've never been one to rush like this (except with the Supernova!). That's because I'm crazy! Hahaha
Who doesn't love an LBC glamour shot? LOL
My boss asked if I could make a baby quilt for somebody in her family before Christmas. It was already after Thanksgiving but I foolishly said YES! The parents of baby are big Legend of Zelda fans, so my boss requested something along those lines. She liked the pixel quilts she saw on Pinterest, so I found a design we both liked and started crunching numbers. I'm not a fan of math, but at least quilty math leads to sewing!

I bought a delicious stack of solids at Jo Ann's. Sadly, I couldn't get all Kona like I wanted, but time was of the essence and I needed fabric NOW! I started cutting 2.5 inch squares when I got home and laid them out on the floor since my design wall is occupied at the moment. What a battle it's been keeping Elvis and LBC out of the craft room and off the squares! Lol. I just finished sewing all the individual rows tonight, so next is ironing all those seams open and then sewing all the rows together into a top.
Being supervised. Lol. I was being as quiet as I could so I could lay out squares in peace. ;)
I'm sure plenty of people have thought of this, but I felt so smart when I came up with this idea for transporting squares from my 'design floor' to my sewing machine. I used an old cookie sheet, ruined by an old roommate but I couldn't bare to toss it out. I found it among my craft stuff not long before starting this project! I just put a row at a time on the cookie sheet and worked my way through them like words on a page, top left to right, moving down the pan. They helped me keep my chain pieced bits straight as I worked.

One row at a time fit perfectly on this little pan!
And the pan fit quite nicely beside my sewing machine!
Though I'm enjoying making this quilt, I can tell I've been burning the candle at both ends trying to meet such a tight deadline. I need to smack my optimistic side next time! Lol.
For those of you thinking LBC is an angel, this is the face he made when I told him to get off the squares. Lol. I came in to find piles of squares strung across the room the next morning and LBC sitting in his chair looking smug. Hahaha

Linking up with WIP Wednesday and NTT!

8 comments:

  1. In our house, we talk about how beastly our two cats are. Mr. LBC certainly looks extremely beastly in that final photo! Lol, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I have more than one picture of him looking beastly on my quilts! He likes to think he's king of the house. ;)

      Delete
  2. I, too, underestimate the time it takes to make a quilt. My record was 8 days in October for a full-size, pieced, quilted and bound. I'm still recovering from that. I have design boards but am using a food tray right now for block transport. Your quilt looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tu-Na Quilts! It's good to know I'm not the only quilter that is a little too overambitious. I can't imagine 8 days for a full size quilt!

      Delete
  3. The cookie sheet is a great idea. Good luck. Stay focused, and you'll finish in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! It's a battle to stay focused after a long day, but I'm hanging in there. Can't wait to have a finish to share. :)

      Delete
  4. Yikes! You're a mad woman! That's quite an undertaking for a short turn around time! But I have no doubt you'll pull it off! Looking forward to seeing the finish!
    *ps... LBC is a beautiful Puddy. ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a mad woman, Val! Lol. I'm still not sure what I was thinking when I agreed to it, but I'm happy with how it turned out. My husband realized how vital it was to get finished, so I was left to my sewing during free time and it really helped me focus. I don't plan on accepting another crazy commission any time soon, so hopefully I'll get back to my slow stitching soon. Lol. And I may be biased, but LBC is a handsome devil in my opinion. ;)

      Delete