Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Finish it Up...Sunday? - Link Pixel Quilt

You read that right, y'all! I have a finish to share! I bought supplies one week ago and I managed to cut, piece, baste, quilt, bind, and label within that week, combined with a 41.5 hour work week, an evening of Christmas candy making, and a half day of Christmas shopping. I feel like Super Woman...kidding, I'm exhausted. Lol.

If you missed out on my first post, this baby quilt was a commission for my boss who wanted it before Christmas. This wouldn't have been difficult except she ordered it after the beginning of December. But no matter, a pixelated Link character was decided on and off I went! My boss also wanted the triforce (the 3 triangle symbol) in the quilt somehow, but I couldn't find room on the top for it. A little brainstorming led to the triforce taking over the back instead thanks to Heat N' Bond!
My Heat N' Bond gave me fits for this quilt, I'm not sure what was up with it. :P
I actually really liked getting to do a pixel quilt. I have big plans for a pixel quilt in the future and this was a great way to practice. I'm happy with my improvement in matching seams; I used to be terrible at it and I'm beginning to match more often than not now! Besides matching seams, the biggest challenge was how to quilt it. I feel like pixel quilts are all about the piecing and the picture it makes, so I didn't want the quilting to distract from that. I ended up opting for straight line quilting on the diagonal and I'm pleased with it.
I would have preferred a light gray thread, but beggars can't be choosers (especially on a deadline!)
I also added a label, which is a habit I'm glad I'm picking up. My boss only requested the baby's name and birthdate, opting out of a special message. I also included my blog name. I almost put my actual name, but I figured if the quilt isn't for family, it's made by LBCQ. What about you? Do you label quilts? And if so, do you use your real name or a brand/blog name?
As I said in the beginning, I'm wiped after making this quilt. I was up late more than one night (my latest was 1:30 am!) but I'm proud of what I've created. This is getting taken to work with me tomorrow for delivery! You'd think I'd be ready for a break now, but the sewing chaos has just begun! Be expecting more updates this week!

Thanks for stopping by y'all!

10 comments:

  1. You ARE Superwoman! I am not familiar with the video game this guy hails from but if there are magical powers involved clearly you chanelled them! Great job!
    I've been slack in the label department lately...it's something I always mean to add but often neglect to go back and do. I always put my name, I rarely sell anything... but I have been contemplating using the blog name...thinking about busting the bank (as if there were any funds in the bank to bust) and actually ordering some labels in the New Year. We shall see...I have commitment issues; 100 labels feels like a big step. Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deadline nearly drove me mad, but overall it was fun! I knew of this game, but I had never actually played it. After getting acquainted with this little guy, I want to try it out now! :) I've been on the fence about ordering labels (like you, 100 is a big commitment!), and often times I make stuff that I want to personalize the label. Maybe after Christmas I can catch a sale to try them out? Or just buy more fabric... Not labeling some of the first quilts I made is a regret I have, though they have stayed in the family. A goal for the new year is to label everything I make, so we'll see how that goes.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing what you can accomplish on a tight deadline. Congrats!! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! The deadline drove me a bit batty, but I had a lot of fun in the process so I guess it wasn't that bad. Lol.

      Delete
  3. OMG, you really are Superwoman. Congrats on getting the quilt designed, pieced, sandwiched, and quilted in such a short time. Your label is perfect. Now you can relax and rest up for your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I'm still slightly surprised I got it done in the time that I did! I wish I could have some time to relax, but no rest for the wicked. Lol. I've got a few presents to get stitched still! :)

      Delete
  4. You're a quilting rock star! I can't believe you finished such a labour intensive quilt on such a short deadline! Have you checked out Candy Coated Quilts? She's a dedicated pixel quilter (and a guild mate of mine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I have checked out Candy Coated Quilts! She is actually the blogger that really got me thinking about pixel quilts thanks to her Sheldon quilt. After reading up on her stuff, I started looking at more pixel quilts until I've decided that a big quilt is in my future. If I remember right, she also makes awesome Kona bundles too! :)

      Delete
  5. This one looks great, and I think the triforce works really well on the back. I have a Zelda nut in the house, I'll have to show him this one, he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My boss really wanted a triforce on it, but I couldn't think of any way for it to be on the front. I like the way it works in the back, it almost makes it double sided! :)

      Delete