Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: City Blocks Top Complete!


Happy Friday, friends! Another week is coming to a close and I can't wait for a weekend off. I managed to get this little booger finished up this week! I'll be honest, I'm glad to see this one done. Though these blocks were fun, they were time consuming and started feeling finicky. When a project stops being fun, I know it's time to wrap things up because I quilt for fun, not because I have to.
I ended up picking a seam on one of the columns to change the layout from 4 squares high to 3 squares high. Rather than make a 3x4 quilt and have to make quite a few more of those blocks, I decided on a nine-patch layout that wouldn't need anymore blocks. And you know, I'm super glad I did. It's not as big as I wanted, but the square layout has its charms. I like the few odd bits of white in the sashing as well, that was a good idea on SewKatieDid's part!

I'm not sure when I'll have a backing for this one, so for now it's on the 'to-quilt' pile which will hopefully be joined by another top soon! Thanks for stoppin' by y'all, have an awesome weekend! Linking up with NTT and Finish it Up Friday!

8 comments:

  1. These turned out so beautifully. Don't you just love improv piecing? I always feel more creative when I'm doing some improv. Until it gets fiddly.. then I just want out! Good call on modifying your plan so you could continue enjoying the process. Sometimes we push ourselves past where we should and it's no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I really do like improv. It has such a no-rules approach, it always feels like anything could happen! And I'm happy with modifying my plan, I think this one would have been a WIP for a long time if I had to make many more of those blocks! Lol

      Delete
  2. Nice work on this. I have a hard time with improve but love what others make. Hopefully the love will come back for me it does when I am done! I love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I was already liking it more after that last seam was done! And improv is a little tricky at first I feel like. I'm still an amateur, but my Supernova quilt was a great way to dive in and try it! :)

      Delete
  3. This is fabulous! Loves me some good improv! My stack of flimsies in wait is getting smaller, but if I ever finish some of my WIPS it'll grow back up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! I don't normally have tops hanging around, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Lol. I'm hoping to not make it a habit though!

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh... not sure what happened there. I'm sorry. Looks like my comment posted itself 4 times. Gremlins?

    ReplyDelete