Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Checking In: A Little Finish

Shew, is it almost Friday again? This week has been incredibly busy so I completely missed out on WIP Wednesday! I managed to get a little sewing done here and there on this little project. My Mom's birthday was on the seventh, so I was able to pull together a little decoration for her when she goes camping.

Some of my best and favorite childhood memories were with my parents on camping trips. We went from tent camping to having a pop-up camper. I thought it was so much fun to help crank it up while we were setting up! Hahaha. As my brother and I got a little older, they graduated up to the fifth wheel camper they have today. By then, it was my parents and I, plus our little Jack Russell. No better way to camp than in the comfort of that trailer in my opinion. ;)

I'm not even sure how I received this; it had my name on it, but I didn't recognize the company at all!
So when I was flipping through a random fabric catalog when I had a few spare minutes, it isn't surprising that I stopped to look over this wall hanging a little closer. The kit was definitely out of my budget, but I figured I could figure something out in time for Mom's birthday.

I just used Heat n' Bond and freehanded the shapes onto it. I ironed all the shapes onto the background before layering it with some batting and sewing around the edges and details of the camper. I hand stitched around the little dogs with black thread along the outline (a great way to hide my uneven stitches!). I knew it had to have dogs on it, seeing how our Jack and their newest addition, a rambunctious little mixed breed pup, are their camping companions now.

I did some big hand quilting around the name and I like the homey feel it gives things. Machine stitching would have been nicer and neater, but it wouldn't have the same feel, you know?

I fit in all in the embroidery hoop and cleaned up the back a little bit before snapping some pictures and taking it with me to work. I ran by after I got off and I'm happy to say she really seemed to like it! She was already excited to hang it in the camper. :)

Linking up with NTT and Finish It Up Friday!

20 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I have a jack too....he's quite the photo bomber at my blog! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! His picture was the first thing I noticed when I went to your blog, I love it! Lol. She used to be quite the photo bomber when she was younger; I have more than a few homecoming dance pictures with her hopping around! :)

      Delete
  2. How cute and a very special gift for your Mom. My husband, our pound pup, Lola, and I live full-time in a fifth wheel and love the life style. How is your scrap vortex coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of one campground in WV where I would love to just pack up and live in the fifth wheel full time. It's so peaceful and lovely there, I could make a life of exploring, crafting, and hiding away in the mountains. :) I didn't make progress on the scrap vortex this week sadly, I'm still with the large slabs I showed off last time. Hopefully I'll get to play some more with them this weekend!

      Delete
    2. I have large pieces on my scrap vortex too, but it is going to be put aside for awhile as I finally got my son/s wedding quilt pinned and now I need to get busy and get it quilted. The wedding is 9/6 and I'm working so that really cuts down on my quilting time. Still work always gets in the way of fun.

      Delete
    3. I feel you there, work definitely cuts down on fun time!

      Delete
  3. Nice! Camping is great and so is your little camper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! Camping is probably my favorite thing to do, it's just so much fun!

      Delete
  4. Aww that's so sweet, I hope your Mum likes it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carie! She loved it and was so excited to hang it up in their camper! :)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love your little camper and pups. I bet your mom was thrilled. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The real life inspiration for the pups is even sweeter - though half the duo is still a crazy little puppy! Lol

      Delete
  6. What a lovely gift for your Mum. We have a caravan (trailer) and often go touring around our wonderful country New Zealand. We take our elderly cat with us and she loves it - a nice cosy place for her to relax in.

    Jenny from Levin, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! My boss is from New Zealand! And I've wanted to visit there for the longest time, it truly is at the top of my bucket list. I've heard of people camping with cats before but I've never tried. LBC is a bit too adventurous, I'd be worried he would sneak off after a critter and never return! I love that your kitty likes to relax in your camper though, that's so sweet. :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous work! The dogs really make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I knew I couldn't leave the grass blank and those dogs were screaming to be appliqued! :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely work! Watch out or your mom will be looking for a larger version to snuggle up under around the campfire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I was already imaging a quilt with an entire campground on it! Lol. It will be added to the to-do list I'm sure, then it will be a free-for-all between my Mom, Dad, and myself over who gets to claim it!

      Delete
  9. ahh its gorgeous - love the pups and the buttons as wheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I happened to have one big, black button in my stash, it was meant to be!

      Delete