Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: Kona Nerd Level Rising!

Happy Friday y'all! I hope this week has treated you well. A small finish for me this week, but still a fulfilling one! I sent my Kona Project blocks to Val (all the way in Canada!) this week, so I figured it was time to share what I've been stitching at behind the scenes. :)

The original plan was to make 3 blocks for Val @ Purple Boots and Pigtails: Bluegrass, Canary, and Flame. But life happened. So I made the most of my time and came away with 2 blocks that I'm pretty proud of! First up is Canary!

I made Canary with a pretty simple process. After settling for a design, I freehanded the writing on some notebook paper, then I traced the mirror image of it on my Heat n' Bond. I learned the hard way the first time I used it that you HAVE to do the mirror image of what you want. Otherwise you're words will be backwards! Anyway, I ironed it onto the background and stitched around the edges. I would have preferred to do it in yellow thread but I didn't have any and time was short, my friends. Still, I'm proud of the cursive font!


Second is Bluegrass! I love this block and the Kentucky-ness of it! It didn't dawn on me until I finished up that most Canadians probably don't know that Kentucky is the Bluegrass state; heck, most Americans probably don't know that! But I wanted to share myself with these 'virtual friends' that I follow online and, ladies and gentlemen, this block is very much me. I used the same process as the canary block. When I designed it, however, I made the letters too small for me to machine stitch around! I had to hand sew around all the letters to secure them. I had a love-hate relationship with this block until it was finished! Lol.


Hopefully these fit the bill for Val's Kona project, I tried to follow the rules and be myself, which is sometimes hard to do. Have a good weekend y'all!

Linking up with NTT and Finish It Up Friday!

10 comments:

  1. Your blocks turned out GREAT!!! I know how much work they took so you deserve a pat on the back for accomplishing so much. I can't decide which one I like best, but probably bluegrass as I love bluegrass music and Kentucky. Job well done and I'm sure Val will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! This is the fun kind of work I don't mind doing! :) That Bluegrass one is just so fun, I was sad to see it go. I may have to think about making another one in the future for keeps. ;)

      Delete
  2. Omigosh.... I love these!!! Can't wait for the package to arrive! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love them! When I told my husband I was mailing something to Canada, the look on his face was priceless. Lol. :)

      Delete
  3. Not to worry... a lot of Canadians know that Kentucky is indeed the Bluegrass State! Many of us have Kentucky bluegrass growing on our lawns. These look fabulous and I'm sure Val will love having them in the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that. I was so excited about my initial idea that I completely forgot my geography and jumped right in! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. They're here! They're here!
    And they're AWESOME!
    THANKS A BUNCH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I'm so glad they made it! I can't wait to see how the quilt looks when you put it together! :D

      Delete
  5. I saw your blocks in person today. They are awesome. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I was so proud of them when I mailed them out and I'm super psyched that Val encouraged me to join in! It's amazing how awesome the top looks so far and it's only halfway done, I can't wait to see the magic she works on it. :)

      Delete