Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Doing the Unthinkable...



It all started with a trip to the library. Mr. LBC and I ran there after work last week and only had 10 minutes before close. I wasn't feeling up to searching out a bunch of books (I already have a stack to read on my dresser), so I perused the New Arrivals like I usually do when I'm not on a mission. And that's when I spotted this little beauty.

http://allpointspatchwork.com/
I had seen this pop up once or twice in the blogosphere and I have to say, I almost slipped it back on the shelf, after all hand sewing isn't my thing...but the photography is soooo pretty! I figured if anything, it would be some eye candy when I had a few minutes to burn. I ended up curling up with it when I got home and read it cover to cover, thoroughly convinced that English Paper Piecing (EPP) was something I absolutely needed in my life. Like, now.

So I did what anybody would do when they have a budget but want to start something new: I cut templates out of cereal boxes (Mr. LBC doesn't quite know that I used his boxes yet! LOL), found a decrepit disaster of a project that needed dismembered, and I got to work!

I started with simple hexies just to see how it felt. That seems to be the most popular shape out there, so I figured there would be plenty of help if I needed it. I even attempted to fussy cut little kitty faces on the hexies, though there wasn't quite enough room to get their little ears on them. :( As silly as it sounds, I kind of liked basting the fabric around the template. I'm not sure why, but it was the funnest part of it all for me! Yes, I am going on record as saying I liked a form of basting! Shocker, I know!

Anyway, I made this little booger. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I think it's a good start to my EPP career. So what about you guys? Do you do EPP or hand quilting? Or are you strictly a machine quilter for now?

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

16 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I'm strictly a machine quilter, but may some day dabble in EPP. Kudos to you for giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I definitely recommend All Points Patchwork as a reference, it helped me so much!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! I haven't tried any EPP or hand-quilting but would like to someday. Take care, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It's definitely worth trying at least once. :)

      Delete
  3. I am crazy about cats and hexagons! I love your EPP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! I tried to get Little Black Cat in a picture with the hexie, but he took off after the laser pointer when it was picture time! Lol.

      Delete
  4. Strictly machine for now, cause I can do hexies that way if they're big enough, but these little projects are beginning to get to me!! Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never done hexies before, but all the cuteness that I see on blogs and what not was weakening my resolve to avoid EPP. Lol. I'm glad I took the plunge though, it was a lot of fun starting!

      Delete
  5. Ooh man...you too? these lil EPP bits are every where and I'm digging in my heels against the pull. They are so pretty and I love the idea of fussy cutting.... some of the creations I see on Instagram are just stunning. But I hate fiddly things and hand stitching isn't my thing...but it's so pretty and portable and popular.... arg!
    I'm going to have to zone out now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I resisted as long as I could, Val! I kept seeing little bits pop up here and there and they were so cute! And when I found the book, I just crumbled and gave in. This little ditty was actually pretty quick, I was surprised. The most fiddly part was folding the patchwork around as I was sewing (due to my templates being stiff cardboard), but that was still easy. And hand stitching wasn't my thing either... ;) Hahahaha

      Delete
  6. Your EPP hexies are FANTASTIC. I love, love, love them. I did EPP way long ago in a far away land (Florida) and enjoyed it and not sure why I stopped, but then I stopped quilting altogether for about 25 years. I did all hand quilting back then until life and a lot of changes got in the way. For the past 1 3/4 years I've just been doing machine quilting, but for the past couple of weeks I have been thinking a lot about EPP. Who knows I may just jump on that wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an enticing little wagon to jump on, isn't it? I couldn't resist trying any longer and it's a great use for scraps too! Glad you're back to quilting after your hiatus, the world needs more quilters! :)

      Delete
  7. Lol When I saw the cats! I like your blog name! It has been a fun visit looking around Glad you visited my blog too
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am a bit of a crazy cat lady! And thanks for stopping by my little blog, glad you had fun visiting! :)

      Delete
  8. Ah... she's headed down the slippery EPP slope! I'll meet you at the bottom. For my templates, I use cover stock purchased at Staples (or Michael's with a coupon!). Those little kitties are very cute (and I'm not a cat person... as you know). They'd make a fun little pouch for one's purse. Then you can look at their furry little faces on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what a fun slippery slope it is! Now that I know I like it, I'm definitely investing in some more fitting supplies in the future (and checking prices of the punch-out things that scrapbookers typically use!) I'm seeing myself making lots of fun little pouches and what not with these as little details. :)

      Delete