Pages

Friday, June 17, 2016

Finish It Up Friday: Happy Mail and a Happy Pouch!

Howdy y'all! All the posts I tried to create the last couple of weeks have fallen flat as a flitter. It just wasn't working. Motivation to sit behind a computer and write blog posts has been low when it is so pretty outside! But then some happy mail came this week.

It all starts with a quilter. That's always how it starts, right? ;) This particular quilter is Svetlana over at s.o.t.a.k handmade. Svetlana is a fabulous pattern designer, quilter, and lately, fabric printer. She is probably best known for her unique pouches. Svetlana is one of those creators that has a distinct style - you can see a project and just know it's one of her creations. Anywho, after commenting on one of her posts, I got the surprise of her insisting on sending me some Clover Clips! I had never used them before and she had a box she wanted to send to a new home! :D
Quilters really are the nicest, most generous people in the world.
So later in the week, I got my happy mail. But there wasn't just the Clover Clips! There was also a charm pack (Marmalade by Bonnie and Camille) and a Sotak Kit! For those of you who don't know, a Sotak Kit is something Svetlana has put together so you can make your own pouch, Sotak-style! It includes all the fabric and odds and ends you need. Mine had waxed canvas, a linen for the lining, some of her printed fabric (!!!), a metal zipper, and the signature leather zipper pull. It also had instructions on how to make the pouch in a nifty little pamphlet.
I'm in love with her printed fabric!

My pouch making is pretty limited, but I dug right in and made this little beauty in no time! I had such fun working with new materials (waxed canvas is different but I love it!) and never felt lost in the instructions. And I got to use those new Clover Clips along the way!
This was my first time doing box corners on the bottom of a pouch, so it stands up on its own!

I know May is for Makers is past, but I believe wholeheartedly in cheering on our fellow makers all year around, so I wanted to shine the spotlight on Svetlana for being an awesome quilter/sewist and also for just being a lovely person. This bit of happy mail really turned my week around and got me at my sewing machine with happiness in my heart. And for that, I thank her with all the virtual hugs I can send her way! :)

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and NTT!

*Note: I was not paid or given any compensation for this review. In fact, I wasn't even asked to give it! I just wanted to share an awesome product with fellow sewing buddies who may want to make pouches as well. :)

8 comments:

  1. I was so happy to see your post. What a wonderful pouch you made and what a generous quilter to send you all the goodies to make it. Happt stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! It is amazing how generous the quilting community is. It makes me so happy to call myself a quilter. 😊

      Delete
  2. What a lovely unexpected gift. And you did such a good job on your pouch, especially using new materials. I've never made a pouch like this myself - not too sure about working with zips. Perhaps one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I don't make pouches often, but I always enjoy it and tell myself to make them more often. Zippers aren't too bad. I'm lazy...i mean, adventurous(!) and I don't even put my zipper foot on my machine. I just sew a little slower and keep and eye (or finger) on those zipper teeth. 😊

      Delete
  3. This is a great post.....and it's a good one for May er June is for makers. I've been on s.o.t.a.k. handmade before. Will have to give her another visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! June shall be for makers to...heck, every month is for makers! Lol. I always love perusing Svetlana's blog, so much stitchy goodness. 😊

      Delete
  4. What an awesome gift. Your pouch is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja! I was so excited to receive such an awesome package of goodies. And the pouch makes a lovely home for my clips! 😊

      Delete