Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Finally A Finish: Miss Kate's Crooked Pie Plates

Howdy y'all! I had hoped to get this post out by Friday Saturday, but a Saturday at a vet clinic never leaves time for plans. We had 3 or 4 emergencies come in, one of which led to an emergency surgery that kept all of us over by a few hours. But in between all the madness of this weekend, I managed to finish putting my Miss Kate quilt top together. I hadn't shared much progress on these, but I've been making slow progress on this bad boy for a while. All those little pieces take some time to put together!
The crooked white sections makes the tan sections look like stars!
I never could get the white rings to flow smoothly. I checked it out on Craftsy, where I bought the kit, and it seems I'm not the only one who encountered the problem. Thing is, it doesn't bother me much. I actually like this one a lot despite the choppiness and the not-normally-me fabric. I was worried I would hate it after all the hard work I put in so far, but I just want to snuggle into it.
Can't wait to give this one a proper photoshoot in some sunlight, those colors are lovely, I promise. :)
Now is just the waiting game of getting a backing on a budget. I had read on another blog that you can use a sheet as a backing...Has anybody had luck doing that before? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading y'all! :)


6 comments:

  1. Love the Miss Kate quilt. I've read some good reviews on using sheets for backing, but nothing over 300 count and recommend 7sing the ones from Target. I'll try to find one of the articles and send you the link for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I had read an post on a blog about using sheets but I couldn't remember for the life of me who posted. Then I look on here and you shared the exact post I was thinking of! The nearest Target is nearly an hour away, but maybe I can convince Mr. LBC to make a little road trip with me to check them out. :)

      Delete
  2. http://meadowmistdesigns.blogspot.com/2016/06/flat-sheets-as-quilt-backings.html?m=1

    This tells about using sheets for backing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried sheets but a friend has with great success. I like the choppiness - makes it more interesting to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I love the star shape that comes from my happy accident. It's so fun when that happens, isn't it? 😊

      Delete
  4. I happen to love the choppiness and thought it was totally intentional. In fact, when I first saw the pic, I was mulling over just how you accomplished such a cool look! So I'd totally say it's intentional. :)

    This may be too late, but I have used sheets for backing. I do always wash them first, just because I'm sometimes concerned the shrinkage rate will be so much different from the front. I also know people that pick up sheets from thrift shops to use for backings, but I know they tend to look really closely at the entire sheet before purchase to make sure there are no holes or marks.

    If you're near an IKEA, I've also used their cottons for backing, which you can get on the cheap, and they usually come in wide WOF, so I've gotten away with not piecing backs because of that. I saw Jacquie Gering lecture, and she mentioned that she uses a lot of IKEA fabric for her backings. I'm not sure if she's posted any information specific to them on her blog, but it might be worth a look. Again, I've always pre-washed mine, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete