Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: Saturday Edition!



Long time, no see y'all! I feel like I've been gone forever, but it's actually been around 2 weeks. I caught the end of the summer funk that seems to plague everybody around the time school starts. I was unlucky number three at work to get it! If I had gone to the doctor the first day I felt awful, I could have avoided a lot of pain and suffering, but if I'm anything, I'm stubborn. I refused to go to the doctor for several reasons, but in the end, I let Mr. LBC make me an appointment after 4 days of misery. After getting meds, a grilled cheese sandwich, and some much needed rest, I was back to basically functional in time for my weekend shift taking care of hospitalized animals at the clinic.

This past week I've been getting back to normal slowly, getting back to sewing in short spurts enough to get this finished! And not a moment too soon, the baby shower is today!! But I managed to get the binding on this baby quilt last night, so I had a little time to spare! ;) Speaking of binding, this binding went on smoother than any other I've done; in fact, I think it's the sharpest binding I've done so far! I ended up using flannel instead of cotton because I couldn't find the right shade of navy I wanted in the cottons that were available. I like how soft and cozy the flannel is though, I might make a habit of including it more often!

 I even remembered to put a little label on this one. Nothing fancy, but it's a start. :) I almost forgot about it, but I happened to see the fabric pen on my catch-all shelf as I was rounding my fourth corner! And wouldn't you know it, I didn't take a picture of the label during my photo session. *face palm*

 I even managed to make some burp cloths a la Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation's tutorial. I didn't follow it exactly, but it got the ball rolling for me. I even had time to snap pretty outside pics before wrapping it up!

What's funny is, my neighbor and her daughter came out as I was picking things up and getting ready to head back inside. As soon as she saw the quilt, she exclaimed, "Did you make that?!" After explaining I did, she and her daughter fawned over the quilt, going on about how lovely it was and what not. And they were shocked that I did the FMQ myself; they had never known somebody could do that on a domestic machine! The mother quilts some and she said she had always sent her quilts off to be quilted like that. I might have been steppin' a little lighter after they left, my quilting ego being thoroughly inflated after all their praise. LOL! I just loved that the mother was as thrilled as I was to find 'another quilter finally!'.


Happy Saturday y'all!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely little finish. I'm sure the flannel will be very cozy. As a recipient of a pile of burp cloths at my baby shower, I can say with certainty that they'll be put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not around babies much, but I do know they are messy little creatures. Lol. It really surprised me that I was the only person to include burp cloths in their gift at the shower, but I guess they're easy to forget about when other cute things are to be bought. :) What was most surprising was the dad was just as excited as the mom over the quilt. Almost everything they received was pink, so the blue and green was a welcome change of pace for him I think! LOL

      Delete
  2. Your baby quilt turned out spectacular. So glad you are feeling better and had time and energy to make burb cloths. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how much this made me smile. Thank you so much for your kindness. :)

      Delete
  3. Today I saw some fox rings on Pinterest and thought of you. Hope the crud you had is totally gone and you are back to having fun with your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it ain't one thing, it's another it seems! Lol. Quilting time is scarce, but I am enjoying the bits and pieces I manage to sit down with some needle and thread. :)

      Delete
  4. Isn't it amazing when one quilter meets another - glad it put a spring in your step after having such a rotten time of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to have somebody excited about a finished quilt from a quilter's perspective, which I've never had outside this blog. It definitely had me stepping lighter! :)

      Delete