Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Commission That Made Me Laugh

Howdy y'all! Hope your week is looking a bit more bearable now that we've hit the hump! As promised, I have some progress to share with you.

A while back, a coworker of mine said her boyfriend wanted to pay me to make a quilt. Thing is, he didn't want a typical quilt. He wanted a Crown Royal quilt. I'm no connoisseur of alcohol, but I'm pretty sure Crown Royal is rum, right? Regardless, the bottles come wrapped in these nifty little purple and gold bags. And this guy didn't have a few of these bags. Oh no, he had an entire garbage bag full of them - I'm talking more than a hundred of them! Apparently he's been saving them for years just for a project like this! I was rolling with laughter when she told me about it, but I agreed to do it. Who doesn't love a good challenge?!
Purple and gold for dayyyyyssss!
Anywho, he gave me free reign to do whatever I please, he just wanted the bags involved. He ended up deciding he wanted a king sized quilt (YIKES!), but thankfully has no deadline set for finishing and simply said to ask whenever I needed money for supplies and whatnot.

I had hand cramps for days after cutting all the logos off the bags and squaring them up, though I know I've got a few more bags squirreled away somewhere if I need them. And I've been making slow progress piecing blocks. I didn't want anything too difficult, but I wasn't feeling anything overly simple either. In the end, one of my doodles of some log cabin blocks grabbed me and I ran with it!
My sewing table stays in organized chaos anymore, especially with this project in full swing! I'm hoping to get at least another round on the in progress blocks on top tonight! 
I laid all my blocks together a little while back and I'm absolutely loving how things are shaping up so far! I'm hoping to be finished piecing blocks soon-ish so I can get the top together and share the full effect with y'all. I'm absolutely dreading basting this bad boy and, being totally honest, the thought of quilting it on the First Born has me shivering in my boots! But I'm ready to tackle it and make something I'm proud of! :)

Happy Hump Day, y'all! I'll be back on Saturday to share a finish!

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Anja! I'll need all the luck I can get once it is quilting time!

      Delete
  2. Congrats and Happy Thursday ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is too funny! I'm looking forward to see your finish! Are the Crown Royal fabric pieces made of cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice! I wasn't sure they were serious at first when they requested it! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. :) And the Crown Royal pieces seem to be cotton. They are almost like a flannel in their texture, though I'm not completely sure.

      Delete
  4. This is hysterically funny! Have fun quilting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! It's an intimidating thought, but I'm gearing myself up so that when it is time to tackle it, I'll be pumped and ready! :)

      Delete
  5. Whiskey! Crown Royal is whiskey.
    And why doesn't Jack come in a bag, dammit? This is going to be awesome.... so original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would have the answer, Val! :) All drinks should come in a bag, can't you imagine the cool design possibilities?! The more I work on this one, the more excited I'm getting! :)

      Delete
  6. What a fun project. There was a lot of drinking involved to get that bag of bags to you. :) Love your fabric choices and can't wait to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I'm sure there are many stories involved in the emptying of all those bags! I'm stoked about getting this top together, it's going to be huge! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm not a drinker myself, but Crown Royal quilts are definitely a thing. I always see at least one at the fair.

    ReplyDelete