Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Where to Next?

After finishing my Supernova, I took a few days of piddling around to recharge. I fiddled with my scrap vortex stuff, but I didn't start something else right away on purpose. As much as I love sewing and quilting, I don't want to burn myself out. I took some time to read and think about where to go to next.

I'm pretty new at quilting. Unlike some, I'm still trying to figure out where I am with it. Some are strictly modern, some are strictly traditional. I have a feeling I'm somewhere in between, though I do like modern designs a bit better I think. So I've been browsing through a couple of quilting books from the library (I had to resist checking out Quilting Modern again! Lol).


The first book is called Quilting Happiness. There are a lot of ideas about being happy with sewing, finding inspiration, and other creativity ideas. I checked it out more for the patterns, but it has still be a fun read. There are actually several patterns I like out of this one! These two are my favorites I think. :)
I really like this take on a star quilt! The varying sizes really sold me on this one, as well as that gorgeous quilting!
The thought of sewing curves sort of terrifies me, but that's sort of why I want to do it. Snowball quilts are really interesting and pretty, I'd love to tackle one after I buck up and go for it. :)

The second book is called Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe. I was actually excited to find this one because there were a few names I recognized right off the bat (Cluck Cluck Sew and Blue Elephant Stitches!) There were some pretty cool quilts in this one, but I narrowed down my current interest to these.
RAINBOW QUILT. Need I say more? Lol. I love colorful quilts! And I need to work on my HST game and get better at matching points. 
I could see this one as a rainbow quilt as well, but it feels a lot more controlled and contained than the craziness that is in the HST quilt. 
Check out Sew Katie Did to see all of the awesome quilts she makes!

And I also found a pattern from one of the author's of Quilting Modern. It was actually supposed to be in the book but was cut before publishing. When I saw it on Sew Katie Did's blog, I loved it right away, but I agreed with what she said: It's an odd shape. I would definitely add another column at the very least. And as luck would have it, she shared a link so that the pattern can be downloaded for FREE! Woooooohooooo! I could see this quilt in the original turquoise and orange, or I could see switching out the orange for a red maybe?

So what do you guys think? I'm still up in the air on where to head from here. I want to challenge yet enjoy myself. I want to have fun picking fabrics (even if it stresses me out sometimes). And most of all, I want a quilt that I'll love to snuggle under. :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh... that's a lot of eye candy!
    I'd have a hard time resisting those circles even though sewing curves isn't my favourite thing....
    Pick one and just jump in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. And I wanted to say that you don't have to define yourself as a certain kind of quilter. Personally I think that being a quilter defines us well enough, we all have something in common. I don't play for any team in particular, I just make what feels good at the time.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. It is a lot of eye candy! I can never decide if it's a good idea or not to check out so many quilting books. Lol. I'm leaning towards the Snowball because as scary as curves are, I reallllly want to learn them! And you're right, defining myself isn't the important part. Maybe more finding my niche? Or maybe finding my sewing self? :) Regardless, I'll make what I want and things shall be lovely.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is also a snowball quilt tute on Missouri Star Quilt Co. that doesn't use curves that you might want to check out. I really like the HST one that you pictured. You could always through the pictures in a hat and pick one out. LOL I really like doing mystery quilts. Have you ever done one?

    I'm having trouble doing the scrap vortex one as I have a lot of scraps but they are just that and not cut up into any size or organized like some of the blogs talk about. Do you have your scraps cut and organized? If so, how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Jennifer! I may just have to do a random drawing and make them that way! Lol. I've never done a mystery quilt before, I think the suspense would drive me crazy. Hahaha. I organized my scraps by color not too long ago after I found some cheap baskets at yard sales and on sale around Christmas and at the Dollar Store. Other than that, the most organization I've done is making sure the scrap is actually big enough to be used. I have all sorts of weird and wonky shapes in my baskets. With the scrap vortex, I've just been sewing and trimming as I go. I just pick a bunch of scraps that I like and put them by my machine, then chip away at the small pile so it doesn't feel as overwhelming as trying to pick from all the baskets after sewing together each pair. I just don't have the patience to iron and cut all my scraps into uniform sizes! Lol

      Delete
  4. I like the way you do your scraps. I've been reading blogs and the thought of cutting specific sizes is overwhelming to me. I'm going to try it our way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete